can someone tell me what the best Gameboy (Color / Advance) and (S)NES emulator is

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TyDye, Aug 18, 2018.

1. TyDye
    OP

TyDye Nintendo 3DS Geek

Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    Milky Way Galaxy
    title and thanks in advance

RESETTI OUT!

2. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Virtual Console (injects if needed) and SNES9x for Old 3DS are the best bets.

3. TyDye
    OP

TyDye Nintendo 3DS Geek

Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    Milky Way Galaxy
    yea but how do I make the NES games not so dark and make all of them full screen (like stretched to fill screen)

4. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Itzumi likes this.
  5. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    In addition, you could instead use VirtuaNES for 3DS.

Arecaidian Fox likes this.
  6. TheRaven81

TheRaven81 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2018
    United States
    I have the same question - but just for GBA. I see a lot of people suggesting injection, but I'd rather just use an emulator and avoid the possibility of not doing the injection correctly. One that runs via .3dsx through the Homebrew Launcher would be preferred.

7. Palom

Palom GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2009
    United States
    I wanted to use an emulator for GBA titles myself, but the two options we have either suffer from frequent crashes (gpSP in RetroArch) or generally doesn't run the game at a good enough speed for my liking (mGBA), and that's from using the CIA versions. CIA injections aren't hard to make, and they really are that much better than emulators on 3DS.

8. SkullyMemes

SkullyMemes Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    Bob-Omb Battlefield
    GBA emulation makes Mighty Number 9 look stable. GBA injection takes a professional to mess up.

NFates likes this.
  9. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Kid now, squid now

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    That's because injection is incredibly accurate and doesn't ever slow down. I think it's at 100% compatibility (ignoring games with fancy extra things in the carts).
    The only thing you could potentially mess up is not SRAM patching your roms, but doing an SRAM patch just takes maybe 2 clicks in GBATA. Even if you mess up, you can always try again. You don't even need a bios like most emulators do (but you can still enable the boot splash anyways in Luma's config menu).

Meanwhile, GBA emulation isn't that accurate, crashes frequently, and sometimes just fails because the emulator isn't that great. Trust me, it's much easier to just make injections and maybe hide them in a folder somewhere. I've actually got an entire folder just for GBA games (well, health & safety is also hidden there, but that doesn't really matter).

10. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    mgba though its pretty much unplayable with a new 3ds/2ds

11. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    However, mGBA makes for a great GB and GBC emulator.

There's a tutorial for NES VC:

Also, you make GBA Virtual Console injections brighter with NSUI.

12. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    i say native VC via inject if you want the vanilla experience. retroarch if you want the fancy bells and whistles like savestates, fast forward & rewind, visual effects and filters