Can someone tell me about May 25? O_O

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lately I been receiving emails about some privacy policy update from various companies that has something to do with a law being established on May 25. Sega sent me one, and so did Indiegogo (Which I don't remember having anything to do with) So I'm just curious what I need to know. They won't explain about this situation, just present me with the new policy thing which if you know by now, are VERY LONG TO READ, just to compare what is changed. :blink:

Did I miss some news here that has something to do with it? :unsure:

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I came here expecting this to be a discworld related thread ( oh the glorious 25th May - How they rise up.) but no such luck. It's a new law thats coming in to effect in europe General Data Protection Regulation and basically governs how data is to be stored and used by companies.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by AmandaRose,

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Funny enough a lot of online games are just blocking EU from playing from tomorrow onwards because of this, mainly because it's easier and cheaper to deal with it like this.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

As mentioned, GDPR becomes enforceable on the 25th so companies are sending out notices about privacy policy updates to all users.

As Marko76 said, it basically means companies cannot sell personal data to other companies without your express permission.

While the GDPR only applies towards EU countries and not the US, any US company that works with the EU has to comply with these regulations, which is why people from the US would also be receiving info about privacy policy updates.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Cranesbill @ Cranesbill: I forgot I was in this group :skull: