Hacking Can someone recommend an easy way to short pin 10 without taking apart the joycon?

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Printed. Let's see how this goes...
rcm_jig.jpg

scoobydude51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dos this switch disable and enable the shorting of the pins? Because I don’t want something that’s permanent on my one and only system that we had to preorder the Super Mario odyssey bundle from target because Switches were not available in my state because they were selling out within seconds during the summer of 2017.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the looks of it, nothing is permanent. Joycon pin bending doesn't impede normal function, and everything else seems to be "put it on press buttons then remove".

Not sure what Dr. Doom is doing with a microswitch but I like the idea. Can we see pictures? I wanna hire my local tiny soldering guy :D

gbazone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dos this switch disable and enable the shorting of the pins? Because I don’t want something that’s permanent on my one and only system that we had to preorder the Super Mario odyssey bundle from target because Switches were not available in my state because they were selling out within seconds during the summer of 2017.

Just use a wire and you'll never have to open your Joycon. Look at my previous post.

Reactions: notimp and Taffy

xenofly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just use a wire and you'll never have to open your Joycon. Look at my previous post.
Can you make a pic so we can see what pin exactly, it's position with switch, this metal of the fan. Still can't find a good noob fridnly photos. It would be a good contribute.

gbazone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Means it's closer to the back side of console? We still needs good noob friendly photo, just to rid these stupid questions like mine. And video is even better.

It's quite simple, but you need good lighting and good eyes. In fact, I disconnected my right Joycon and went outside into the sunlight to see pin 10 clearly. It's tricky because you have to find a way to hold the wire on pin 10 (which is closest to the kickstand) and also hold volume + while pressing power. I was able to get the other end of the wire to stay put in the fan housing. It takes practice but I feel it's much better than opening the Joycon. I bet in a week I will be able to do it consistently without much hassle.

Reactions: Taffy and xenofly

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got into RCM once using a standard paperclip without a joycon plugged in, but it was just good luck and I haven't been able to do it again since.
i'd hate to hook on here but i need help with shorting the pins. i can't bend them because i don't have a tri wing screwdriver. any ideas?

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's quite simple, but you need good lighting and good eyes. In fact, I disconnected my right Joycon and went outside into the sunlight to see pin 10 clearly. It's tricky because you have to find a way to hold the wire on pin 10 (which is closest to the kickstand) and also hold volume + while pressing power. I was able to get the other end of the wire to stay put in the fan housing. It takes practice but I feel it's much better than opening the Joycon. I bet in a week I will be able to do it consistently without much hassle.

I am now able to do it without looking, just shove the wire between pins 10 and 9 and it will work (and hold)

edit : but again they are GPIO wires with solid headers on both ends

Last edited by natinusala,
Reactions: gbazone

gbazone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i'd hate to hook on here but i need help with shorting the pins. i can't bend them because i don't have a tri wing screwdriver. any ideas?

As I've been saying, ditch the idea of modifying your joycon. Get a decently thick wire (say .5mm), attach one end to the metal grill of the fan housing at the top of the console, and the other end to pin 10, and keep trying until you're in recovery mode. I don't have a tri wing either. If you have any old PC or phone charger cables around cut down to about six inches and then strip at both ends. No joycon required in the right side of the console.

Last edited by gbazone,

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I've been saying, ditch the idea of modifying your joycon. Get a decently thick wire (say .5mm), attach one end to the metal grill of the fan housing at the top of the console, and the other end to pin 10, and keep trying until you're in recover mode. I don't have a tri wing either. If you have any old PC or phone charger cables around cut down to about six inches and then strip at both ends.
ok. so basically just hold a copper/bronze wire to pin 10 which is closest to back of switch, then attach other end to fan grill? i'll try this

gbazone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am now able to do it without looking, just shove the wire between pins 10 and 9 and it will work (and hold)

edit : but again they are GPIO wires with solid headers on both ends

Lol I'm using a frayed copper colored wire I found in my garage. Had to twist both ends to make it more solid. It's probably .6mm thick though so it works well. The paperclip I used the first time I got into recovery was more thin. I tried a sewing needle before that with no luck.

xenofly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Btw, do you really need to open your joycon? I can see them (pins) very well without any dismantle. I think i can make a tiny metal plate and just put it in that small hole, so i can short pin 9 and 10. Or am i missing something?

Last edited by xenofly,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1