Hacking Can someone recommend an easy way to short pin 10 without taking apart the joycon?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if you do THIS instead (hidden magnetic reed switch instead of physical switch), you won't have any visible modification to your joycon and it is reversible in case you ever have warranty issues.

if they actually take the time to look inside the joycon, they will notice it had been tempered with either way.

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if they actually take the time to look inside the joycon, they will notice it had been tempered with either way.

no they won't, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Of course if you trash the inside of you controller, or trash the solder points it would be noticeable. But, even a novice could do this and put it back to stock without any visible indication that it had been touched.

D

Deleted-355425

no they won't, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Of course if you trash the inside of you controller, or trash the solder points it would be noticeable. But, even a novice could do this and put it back to stock without any visible indication that it had been touched.

If my job was repairs i would notice the solder was different on the pads where someone has attached wires.

Reactions: gallymimu

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If my job was repairs i would notice the solder was different on the pads where someone has attached wires.

No, you wouldn't. Stop arguing with experts. Again, assuming the soldering is at least Novice or better.

PLUS the solder points are covered with foam so it wouldn't even be visible.

Reactions: Deleted-355425
D

Deleted-355425

No, you wouldn't. Stop arguing with experts. Again, assuming the soldering is at least Novice or better.

PLUS the solder points are covered with foam so it wouldn't even be visible.

Wouldnt be visible because of some foam? :rofl2: I work in electronics for a living and an expert and yes i would see hand solder and flux and know its been touched up by an iron.

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldnt be visible because of some foam? :rofl2: I work in electronics for a living and an expert and yes i would see hand solder and flux and know its been touched up by an iron.

You are wrong, you wouldn't leave any flux because you don't need to use any to tack a 30AWG wire into one of those solder points. I have been in electronics for 20 years. Run 2 manufacturing organizations, run a warranty repair program, and have owned multiple product development companies. I am sure I have soldered far more than you and inspected far more solder joints for IPC compliance, training, and failure analysis (of course I am just guessing but statistically I am probably right :) ).

Anyway we won't be able to resolve it without showing each other pictures and saying "which one has been touched". I don't think either of us is that motivated so let's leave it as a friendly impasse and agree to disagree.

The reality is no warrant program is going to include inspection of solder joints and removal of foam to inspect solder solder points. It would never fit the warranty cost model, and likely wouldn't be a point of note for failure analysis and any Kaizen (Japanese) or 6-sigma improvement program.

I'm not sure anyone really cares who is right anyway.

Last edited by gallymimu,
D

Deleted-355425

You are wrong, you wouldn't leave any flux because you don't need to use any to tack a 30AWG wire into one of those solder points. I have been in electronics for 20 years. Run 2 manufacturing organizations, run a warranty repair program, and have owned multiple product development companies. I am sure I have soldered far more than you and inspected far more solder joints for IPC compliance, training, and failure analysis (of course I am just guessing but statistically I am probably right :) ).

Anyway we won't be able to resolve it without showing each other pictures and saying "which one has been touched". I don't think either of us is that motivated so let's leave it as a friendly impasse and agree to disagree.

The reality is no warrant program is going to include inspection of solder joints and removal of foam to inspect solder solder points. It would never fit the warranty cost model, and likely wouldn't be a point of note for failure analysis and any Kaizen (Japanese) or 6-sigma improvement program.

I'm not sure anyone really cares who is right anyway.

There is flux in the solder unless you use no clean, but yeah they would have to be pretty anal to notice but i would :)

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is flux in the solder unless you use no clean, but yeah they would have to be pretty anal to notice but i would :)

My point was that you don't ADD any solder, just touch the thru hole point and stick the tinned kynar wire in. And, I know I could touch solder joints that you couldn't tell so HA. Anyway have a good weekend dude.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah once a test pad has been soldered to you would be able to notice it even if you removed any remaining solder, that said if you send a switch in for repair and you were really worried they were going to bother checking the joycon you could just swap it over with a new one

but yeah I highly doubt they would start investigating test pads and stuff when they probably just have their own wipe and reset recovery tools which would solve the problem regardless in like 10 minutes

oh actually I just seen the guide you made and see your soldering to the ribbon cable and not the test pads, yeah as long as you don't go crazy soldering to the connections it would be pretty much impossible to notice anything had been done to the controller, I feel like I seen another reedswitch guide that was soldering to test points on the PCB, I will assume people were thinking it was that guide

Last edited by gamesquest1,

DarkenSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The little metal plate with the 3 down arrows on the part of the joycon that slides into the rail can be taken off and provides direct access to the pins however the plate is very thin and can break very easily and can be a pain to put back but that is the only access point other than full dissembly

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah once a test pad has been soldered to you would be able to notice it even if you removed any remaining solder, that said if you send a switch in for repair and you were really worried they were going to bother checking the joycon you could just swap it over with a new one

but yeah I highly doubt they would start investigating test pads and stuff when they probably just have their own wipe and reset recovery tools which would solve the problem regardless in like 10 minutes

oh actually I just seen the guide you made and see your soldering to the ribbon cable and not the test pads, yeah as long as you don't go crazy soldering to the connections it would be pretty much impossible to notice anything had been done to the controller, I feel like I seen another reedswitch guide that was soldering to test points on the PCB, I will assume people were thinking it was that guide

the point is that they wouldn't gift you free repairs if they can argue that you messed it up by tinkering around inside

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
the point is that they wouldn't gift you free repairs if they can argue that you messed it up by tinkering around inside
oh idk, Nintendo have a fairly good track record of just fixing shit even when there was obvious signs of people using homebrew etc, I know sony and xbox look for any reason to dodge repairs, maybe its just because Nintendo typically uses cheaper hardware so they don't feel too much pressure to cost cut for warranty repairs

I have seen numerous threads of people sending in system that were bricked via homebrew, it would be fairly simple to craft a diagnostics software that checks for b9s/homebrew and automatically deny warranty but so far Nintendo don't seem to have bothered, people have even gotten repairs and had their console returned with b9s still installed

Last edited by gamesquest1,

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh idk, Nintendo have a fairly good track record of just fixing shit even when there was obvious signs of people using homebrew etc, I know sony and xbox look for any reason to dodge repairs, maybe its just because Nintendo typically uses cheaper hardware so they don't feel too much pressure to cost cut for warranty repairs

I have seen numerous threads of people sending in system that were bricked via homebrew, it would be fairly simple to craft a diagnostics software that checks for b9s/homebrew and automatically deny warranty but so far Nintendo don't seem to have bothered, people have even gotten repairs and had their console returned with b9s still installed
I had an imported Nintendo DS Lite (because I used my DS constantly and couldn't wait I guess :P) that somehow got messed up when I was shorting that pad to install FlashMe on it back in the old days of DS homebrew and US Nintendo STILL let me send it in and sent me a new DS Lite once it was available in the US. I even TOLD them that I was tinkering around with it, and the customer service rep pretty much was like 'yeah, it's ok, no big deal'.

abdul85pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The easiest:
IMG_20180531_232755.jpg

Reactions: matias3ds

Dr.doom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Briccmii is AutoRCM.
Oh, and if you state that you did it any other way, then you're just trolling badly at this point.
Z can
Briccmii is AutoRCM.
Oh, and if you state that you did it any other way, then you're just trolling badly at this point.
Nope but maybe you guys shouldn't be so quick to shut unknowns out dude .I have some skill not as much as you or others but some .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho