Can someone port Sonic 3 A.I.R. to the Wii U? Surprised it hasn't yet, as it went open source in October 2021

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somewhere on that page, I don't recall where, I did this forever ago, again though you'll need to also get the Sonic 1 and 2 data.rsdk files elsewhere, pretty sure I can't share those files here.
Yeah I have those RDSK Data files already since I have used them on pc. The problem is that when I went to the rubberduckycooly github page. They have the exe file already made to download so I can use it. But I don't see any files needed for wii u homebrew on this page. :ninja:

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I have those RDSK Data files already since I have used them on pc. The problem is that when I went to the rubberduckycooly github page. They have the exe file already made to download so I can use it. But I don't see any files needed for wii u homebrew on this page. :ninja:

Sonic 1:
https://gitlab.com/QuarkTheAwesome/sonic2013-wiiu/-/jobs/1747766124

Sonic 2:
https://gitlab.com/QuarkTheAwesome/sonic2013-wiiu/-/jobs/1747766125

Look under 'Job artifacts' on the right side for the download.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you good sir. :)

Though It seems a bit weird, are there supposed to be two separate builds for this one? When I got the exe for my pc version, it was only one download. I had to copy and paste it into separate folders for each game. So it's the same exe for both Sonic 1 & 2. :blink:

NOTE: It would be nice if someone added these files to the homebrew appstore to make it easier to find or download. (Obviously won't include the data file, just the homebrew launcher)

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, these are cool! Thanks for the sharing, awesome..... I do have one little question tho!

Is there no pause menu in game? I can tell im navigating one and managed to reset the stage lol but i dont see it appear?

tehtemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looks like my setup has Sonic 1's data.rsdk alongside the homebrew .rpx in /wiiu/apps/Sonic1 and likewise for data.rsdk for Sonic 2 in /wiiu/apps/Sonic2
Thanks!

I've created some icons you can use with the Homebrew Launcher for Sonic 1, 2 and CD. Rename the .png to icon.png and put it next to your .rpx file.

Took the images from the Amazon App Store, resized and cropped them :)

Attachments

• sonic1.png
    sonic1.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 98
  • sonic2.png
    sonic2.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 100
  • soniccd.png
    soniccd.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by tehtemp,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks!

I've created some icons you can put for use with the Homebrew Launcher for Sonic 1, 2 and CD. Rename the .png to icon.png and put it next to your .rpx file.

Took the images from the Amazon App Store, resized and cropped it :)
Heehee! I used the exact same icons for mine, was gonna post em! Nice!

Reactions: tehtemp

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just mentioned my missimg menu thing but thought id mention i managed to load what I assume is the credits?? But i only get sound! After playing with the invisible menu again i got back tonmain screen and started with tails lol!

Anyone else got this? Not too fussed mind, games play great!

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just add them to the homebrew app store?
https://apps.fortheusers.org/wiiu
They're not my apps, I'm not sure if the creator wants that or not. They do feel very much like alpha builds that could easily be updated one day. The fact that they only really shared them on the Discord as far as I can tell, feels like they aren't eager to make them that readily available. But I could certainly be wrong.

Reactions: jeannotte

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're not my apps, I'm not sure if the creator wants that or not. They do feel very much like alpha builds that could easily be updated one day. The fact that they only really shared them on the Discord as far as I can tell, feels like they aren't eager to make them that readily available. But I could certainly be wrong.
All you got to do is ask. Can't go wrong with that much right? The more people know about it and are aware, maybe just enough to get some people interested in further development. :P

Reactions: jeannotte

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you got to do is ask. Can't go wrong with that much right? The more people know about it and are aware, maybe just enough to get some people interested in further development. :P
The person that made the apps in question are very familiar with the Wii U scene, I trust they would have uploaded it there themselves if they wanted it there. But if you really want it in the app store so much, why don't you go ahead and ask them?

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh, I killed this thread :shy:

Possibly helpful info then..... Lil tip i found regarding Sonic 1 and 2... If you tap the letters in the SEGA logo at the start you should hear a chime. Hold all four shoulder buttons and press A on start screen and you get the level select and sound test screens!

Last edited by Lostbhoy,

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
With Sonic Origins having been released last month I wonder if a decompilation of Sonic 3 can be made, I prefer Sonic 3 AIR personally but I do wonder if Sonic 3 Origins would be decompiled similarly one day.

Reactions: fmhugo

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With Sonic Origins having been released last month I wonder if a decompilation of Sonic 3 can be made, I prefer Sonic 3 AIR personally but I do wonder if Sonic 3 Origins would be decompiled similarly one day.
Well the sonics in origins arnt roms

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Well the sonics in origins aren’t roms
I’m aware (I wish they were roms, believe me I know better than anyone else how inaccurate the controls and physics are in those) but they’re the same exact versions used in the decompilation (Sonic 1, 2, CD) and now we have Sonic 3 done with the same engine so who knows.

I personally prefer Sonic 3 AIR because I’m very picky and I like how faithful it plays since it modifies the rom rather than recreate the game, I wish Sonic 1 and 2 were handled the same way tbh.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried out all 3 ports on wii u. Sonic 1 and 2 have no menus at all and it sounds like the game is pausing when you press the b button. When you get a game over you can hear the android sounds from menu but its just a black screen. Sonic 2 without menus only lets you play as sonic by himself without tails or lets you play tails by himself. Sonic CD the screen is really small and no matter what buttons i press it doesn't do anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: is it difficult?