Can someone point me in the direction of good ram.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Man18, May 31, 2008.

May 31, 2008
  1. Man18
    OP

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I want a good 2gb stick of ddr2 to throw into my HP Pavilion dv6500t to give it a small boost. My budget is about 60$. I found a good deal on newegg but not sure what I would have to do in order to get it to run properly.

So far I plan to purchase this because its cheap and can be here in less than a week.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134623

Any suggestions on something else?

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Well, if you only have 1GB of ram in it at the moment, it's probably 2 512MB sticks in two slots. So in that event you're actually looking for 2 1024MB sticks, instead of a single 2048. Unless of course you plan to move to 4GB down the line but I doubt that's what you are aiming for.

Installing ram is almost always painfree. On the laptop especially when the ram bay is located on the bottom of the laptop. Sometimes it's under the keyboard and that requires a tad more work. Basically, you just slide/clip the fucker in, after replacing the previous sticks, and you are good. Burning a memtest disc and booting the laptop from it is always a good decision to put the ram through it's paces and make sure it's functioning properly.

3. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
  4. Man18
    OP

United States
    I do indeed have 2 512s but I was wondering if it would be a problem to throw in the 2g alone or put in the 2g with one of the prev 512s. Also I may need to go with the 2 1gs considering im using a 32 bit vista (I was informed that the actual 32bit vista only supports up to 3g).

EDIT

Looked up information on the laptop which I should have done in the first place. It supports a max of 2g.

5. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Most laptops allow u to use dual channel memory, which makes better use of the memory.

I would personally get either 2 1GB sticks, or 2 2GB sticks. although u will never use the last 1GB of memory, u will have maxed out your ram and if u decide to ever go to 64-bit or windows vista Ulitmate, this would be a good decision.

It is completely up to you though. Just make sure if you use 2 sticks of ram, try to keep them in the same brand name. there are some compatibility problems between brands so i have heard.

hope this helps. if money is a problem, grab one 2GB stick, and use one 512MB stick, then upgrade again whenever u have some spare cash.

Just make sure your laptop supports 2GB sticks, my laptop, HP Pavilion zd8000 only takes up to 2GB being 2 x 1GB sticks.

6. Man18
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the info. My HP Pav is the same with the ram. Money is indeed tight at the moment I have like 120$ in PayPal and like 170 in my bank account now that all of the bills are paid currently I do not have a job so I am not entirely sure I should spend the cash to get the sticks because it would cost 62.6 at newegg.

7. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If money is a problem. I would hold off for the moment. I went from 1Gb to 2GB and noticed a small difference. Although, I dont run resource hungry games and applications. One thing to really look at in order to speed up your laptop (personal experience) is the Hard Drive.

Most laptops come with crappy power-saving 4200rpm or 5400rpm drives. upgrading to a 7200rpm drive and then partitioning that drive will make a noticable difference.

I have a 100GB drive partitioned as such.

20GB Operating System
    15GB Applications
    20GB Games and Emulation
    40GB Data Files (Moved the My Documents folder to this partition)
    Take away the 5GB for formatting purposes.

Some people do not like the idea of partitioning, but I think it keeps things organized and in good health and is a lot easier to defragment.
    Also, if u ever want to completely restore your computer, you can wipe the OS and Applications clean while still leaving your hard downloaded data intact on the E and F drives.

Just something to think about, but it may help you out.

-suppachipmunk

8. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I never knew you could get one stick of 2GB ram....

All i see when i search is "2GB kits" which are 2 sticks of 1GB ram.