Can someone please write an explanation of how EmuNAND works and what it does?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Tomato Hentai, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Tomato Hentai
    OP

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I'm trying to convince my parents to let me set up EmuNAND on the 2DS they bought for my little sister, but one issue I'm having is that even though I know how EmuNAND works, I don't know exactly how to explain it and how it works.
    Can someone help me out by writing an explanation for me?

2. Voxel

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Tell them all the technical stuff such as it bypasses signature checks and lets you patch AGB_FIRM, TWL_FIRM, etc. :rofl:

Lol, jokes aside, Emunand is a copy of the original NAND inside that 2DS, and is optimized and modified to play 3DS games for free through the form of CTR Importable ROMZ! ;)

Last edited by Voxel, Dec 23, 2015
    Tomato Hentai likes this.
  3. Tomato Hentai
    OP

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    That's the one thing they already know, but they're asking what I need to do to install it, what it does to the system ans what the risks are. I don't know why I can't explain something that simple... :unsure:

Voxel likes this.
  4. Voxel

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Well, I think the only risk is that you could brick your 3DS if you don't use sysupdater corrently (that's if you're planning to update that 2DS to 9.2, or something...)

wormdood and Tomato Hentai like this.
  5. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Do they use computers? If so they know the importance of backing up right? Tell them it's like a backup of their computer system in case anything bad happens.

6. RednaxelaNnamtra

RednaxelaNnamtra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2011
    Germany
    If they use an Emunand with cfw, they will be able to install the Games to the SD, so your sister won't need to use the game modules. She could leave them home, while playing all the games everywhere.

The Emunand itself is only a copy of the 2DS/3DS internal storage, if you use an Emunand, the only thing that could brick, if something gets wrong is the Emunand, if you back it up from time to time the lose of data will be very low. Also she will not be able to update ,modify or break the real internal storage, if you setup autoboot for the 3DS/2DS.

Some more technical informations:
    Every cfw with emunand support patches the firmware it loads from the SD card, to redirect nand reads to the sdcard, this will allow you to use newer firmwares, which leads to the ability to use the eshop and anything else without the need to use any other patchers. Also its possible to install homebrew and converted games directly to the sd, to use them directly from the home menu, because the cfw patches the signature checks.
    Also there are some other patches for the twl(DS) and agb(GBA) firmware, which will allow you to use self created gba and dsi cias.

7. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Instead of running the 3ds OS from within the 3ds, it runs the OS from the sd card. This means if anything bad happens then the sd card will become corrupt instead of the console. It also allows you to play games downloaded from a computer.

I think this is the most simple way of putting it?

Last edited by Adeka, Dec 23, 2015
  8. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    opposite end of the spectrum here if you don't update sysnand then you can honestly tell them "there is no risk at all everything is and will be installed to the sd card and we can always format the sd card if need be"
    edit: the only downside to this will be needing the internet or any android device (with wifi) to boot cfw . . . but then there is mset (ds profile exploit) with mset (mset installs to sysnand) the risk only comes into play if the system is not in fw 4.x or 6.x the risk is loosing the ability to play original ds games . . . but this is easily fixed and its a really minimal risk in the first place
    2nd edit: also to maintain honesty you would not be able to install cia installer (fbi) to sysnand so no gba cia's or dsiware cias . . . but the only risk when injecting fbi is loosing your (useless) health and safety app that no one ever opens and or uses

Last edited by wormdood, Dec 23, 2015
    Tomato Hentai and Voxel like this.
  9. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Just talk to them about the Matrix and how we're being brainwashed by the system. Emunand is the ORACLE.

BAMMM!!!!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

To be truthful, I think its better if you got her the sky3ds+ card. Do you want to be responsible for any fuck ups? You know you can't blame your sister if it gets bricked.

10. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    but if he installs nothing to sysnand there will be no brick and even if there is it will be on emunand

Last edited by wormdood, Dec 23, 2015
  11. Tomato Hentai
    OP

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    I'd get her a Sky3DS+ if I had the money, but we're actually kinda having money issues right now, so I thought it'd be better to set up EmuNAND instead.

12. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Tell them emuNAND is what people set up if they are being safe. Not having emuNAND is the risky option.

Ammako, Tomato Hentai and wormdood like this.
  13. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    . . .like a rubber for the 3ds?

Quantumcat and Tomato Hentai like this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The best way to explain EmuNAND is that it re-directs where the OS boots from, in this case from an SD card. You have a bit-to-bit perfect copy of the firmware running from the SD card (easily rewritable) rather than the console's internal memory (non-rewritable without flashing tools in the event of failure). Windows does it with Recovery partitions - in case the OS becomes unusable for whatever reason, you have a working copy to fall back on. If the internal memory fails and you have no backup, you now own a paperweight rather than a 3DS, if the backup on the SD fails, you just put a fresh copy back onto it or boot from internal memory - it's a safety measure that prevents any catastrophic and irreversible firmware failure.

15. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Team Skull ☠️Grunt☠️

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    -edited-