Hacking Can someone please explain to me Preloader's function?

ritetub

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have read the Preloader WiiBrew but I still don't understand its significance.

What is Preloader and how will it help me in the long run?

Also, I have a 3.3U Wii so which Preloader will I be required to install?

ritetub

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So Preloader is pretty much a must-have app?

Will the newest version 3.0 (final) be compatible with my Wii system (3.3)?

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Preloader is an app that you install prior to the system menu. It is useful because it enables you to recover from typical bricks you might get from a bad wad or theme. It also has hacks that can be enabled that allow you to do different useful things, especially "block disc updates" , "remove no copy protection", and "region free games". If you can't do a bootmii backup, a wii with preloader in the right hands is pretty much an unbrickable wii.

ritetub

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok... I just did some more research and there seems to be a third party app called Priiloader which some people are praising.

Which of the two (Preloader and Priiloader) should I install?

ritetub

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright.

So are there any system requirements in order to install Preloader/Priiloader? I want to know as I have a 3.3E Wii. I've heard that there are no hacks for 3.3

ritetub

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just read that that there is no hack for 3.3 and that I should upgrade to 4.0 or downgrade to 3.2. How do I accomplish this?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ritetub said:
I just read that that there is no hack for 3.3 and that I should upgrade to 4.0 or downgrade to 3.2. How do I accomplish this?

If you're going to install priiloader anyway, then updating to 4.2 is probably better.

WiiJohn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ritetub said:
Alright... Is it possible to update to 4.2 without re-installing HBC?

I would recommend updating to 4.1. If you have HBC its fairly simple to goto 4.1.
Then install priiloadder 0.3b, rev48 is the official release.

ritetub

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have no idea how to do these things. I have searched guides and such but personally, I find visualising the steps much easier (e.g. YouTube video).

Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ritetub said:
I have no idea how to do these things. I have searched guides and such but personally, I find visualising the steps much easier (e.g. YouTube video).

I don't think there is a youtube video with good instructions. Even if there was it would become horribly outdated in no-time with the speed at which things move here.

I recommend that you follow this guide in this thread if your looking for a simple guide that will hold your hand a little a long the way. Please note that the thread I linked you to encourages newbies to use the Complete softmod guide in the hopes that you will learn about all the steps in-depth before preforming them. I've never been one to not encourage learning so if your one of the newbies looking to know all the details the complete softmod guide is probably the best option for you. Otherwise if your just looking to quickly (and safely) upgrade to version 4.2 of the firmware and have homebrew working follow the guide in the thread that I linked you to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome