Chronos1155

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there,
I have a wii from launch and it currently bit the dust im sure the disk drive is fried. I was extremely depressed because my wii could do both neo gamma and wii flow backups. The wii still turns on but the disk drive cant read a disk worth a crap. So I understand the optical drive is what reads the back up games and my launch wii is the only kind of wii that can do that. Finding a wii optical drive is easy finding one from a launch wii is rather a larger challenge. So instead of buying a new drive i wanted to know what inside the optical drive allows my wii to do game backups. Also if anyone knows a site or a link to where I can buy a optical drive from a launch wii it would be much appreciated.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WODE would be kinda of a better choice. It's emulates the optical drive so that you can load games right off of a USB. It would probably the best in the long run.

Though if you want to replace it I would follow this guide on how to replace a wii dvd drive.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUlLBHsQcKc[/youtube]

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot. You can also do USB loading via USB Backup Loaders like the one suggested below me.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No actual need for WODE. Wii games can be loaded from USB with almost 100% compatibility nowadays with the latest cIOSes. Try Modmii to update your Wii. Buy a cheap USB Hard disk (1 TB should be about $70-80 now.) Fill it up with your favorite Wii games, and play through Configurable USB Loader. You'll never look back to your dead optical drive. In fact, you'll wonder how you managed to use DVD backups for so long!
yaywii.gif

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dust2dust said:
No actual need for WODE. Wii games can be loaded from USB with almost 100% compatibility nowadays with the latest cIOSes. Try Modmii to update your Wii. Buy a cheap USB Hard disk (1 TB should be about $70-80 now.) Fill it up with your favorite Wii games, and play through Configurable USB Loader. You'll never look back to your dead optical drive. In fact, you'll wonder how you managed to use DVD backups for so long!
yaywii.gif

Best answer!

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator said:
Dust2dust said:
yaywii.gif

Best answer!
Yeah, it's still too early in the morning for me that I forgot to put in the other method
tongue.gif
. Though if you also like playing GC games on your wii WODE would be the way to go.

Chronos1155

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes i understand about usb loading since i currently have a 1tb external hard drive and wii flow however download wii games takes and unnecessary amount of time and i.p. changing so i like to use the backup function which allows me to scan my physical game copies and load them into the drive. However, my wii wont read any games period since the drive is so crappy and old.

geegee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chronos1155 said:
yes i understand about usb loading since i currently have a 1tb external hard drive and wii flow however download wii games takes and unnecessary amount of time and i.p. changing so i like to use the backup function which allows me to scan my physical game copies and load them into the drive. However, my wii wont read any games period since the drive is so crappy and old.

There really are not that many options then. You can buy a new drive or borrow a friend's Wii or keep on downloading. I guess you could buy one of the select LG drives for your PC that reads Wii Disc but that seems unnecessary.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
geegee said:
Chronos1155 said:

There really are not that many options then. You can buy a new drive or borrow a friend's Wii or keep on downloading. I guess you could buy one of the select LG drives for your PC that reads Wii Disc but that seems unnecessary.

If you allready have burned copies, you can read then fine in your PC and redump with Wiibackukmanager.
Original retail disc wont read in your PC without the special LG drives.

mrage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used wiis are getting really cheap now. You could probably get one for cheaper than you would pay for the WODE. I picked up a used one with a controller and nunchuck for $60 off of craigslist just this week. You might even consider saving the money to put towards the next gen console.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
mrage said:
Used wiis are getting really cheap now. You could probably get one for cheaper than you would pay for the WODE. I picked up a used one with a controller and nunchuck for $60 off of craigslist just this week. You might even consider saving the money to put towards the next gen console.

Also a good option!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent +1