Can someone not agree with a concept/idea/belief and not be a phobia?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ThePanchamBros, May 26, 2016.

1. ThePanchamBros
    OP

ThePanchamBros Hates the Undertale Fandom

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Under your bed ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Ok, so just a random question. DO you guys thing someone can be against or not agree with a certain idea or belief? I personally do not think someone is phobic when not agreeing with a certain concept or idea.

2. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Yeah this idea of "phobia" is just a way to size down people's legitimate concerns about an issue and make it seem like something totally unfounded and treat it like a fear. It's just a trend, really, that seems to have caught on in the mainstream media.

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I actually know people who don't agree with same-sex marriage (for example,) but do not actively believe it should be banned and can be practiced. They just don't agree with the idea, but they aren't against it from happening. Which I don't think that makes them homophobic as they aren't doing it out of hatred nor are they actively trying to impose their personal believes on others.

4. axemurderer

axemurderer GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2014
    United States
    Hoenn nostalgia town
    phobia/-phobic can mean fear of something, dislike of something, or a property of something. an example would be hydrophobic materials.

personally I think that language evolves so using the -phobic suffix for non-fears is fine.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I honestly think the biggest problem with our current culture, is that people believe if you disagree with something, that it makes you a bigot. When the truth is, you can simply disagree and not be a bigot. There's a difference between;
    "I don't agree with *blank*," but I am not against it."
    And
    "GOD HATES FAGS!"

6. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Terms like 'homophobia' and 'transphobia' are misleading. You're not afraid, you're just an asshole.

They're hardly equivalent with, say, claustrophobia or aracnophobia.

7. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    the suffix 'phobia' is overused. In terms of, say, homophobia, I think the proper term would be homomisia, as the suffix 'misia' is the hate of something.

8. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai nut neutrality

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Alberta
    Huh. I didn't know that. I think I'm gonna start using the -misia suffix instead of -phobia for words like that now.

9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I agree that phobia is a misnomer, but a lot of the English language is full of misnomers if you take root words literally. Fortunately, that's not how the language works. Homophobia, for example, refers to prejudice and dislike, not fear. Bisexual used to refer to the ability of an organism to literally become either sex, but that's not what the word means anymore.

You could use misia instead of phobia, but then most people wouldn't know what you're talking about, and we all know what one means when he or she says homophobia.

As for the original question, it depends on what one is talking about. For example, if a person has a preconceived negative opinion about homosexuality and/or homosexuals, that is prejudice, bigotry, and homophobia, all by definition. But to adequately answer the question, I would need more specifics.

10. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I meself do not agree with pride parades.
    It sends out a wrong image.

Kinda ironic if that makes me homophobic ;')

11. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    Labeling the opposition -phobic is another way the left attempts to shut down dissenters. They have no arguments - they cannot use logic, they must rely on censorship and emotion.

12. Dorimori

Dorimori professional lurker

Mar 17, 2016
    United States
    the closet
    Pride parades are a stupid idea. It makes the LGBT+ community look like pushy asses.

hobbledehoy899 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  13. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Eh..
    That's exactly where I was going for?

14. insidexdeath

insidexdeath .

Apr 13, 2010
    This particular line falls under belief though. Obviously saying fags is just straight up rude, but some could say I believe in God, and God does not approve of homosexuality. Therefore, I should have the same opinion. I don't see anything wrong with that logic. However, homosexuals or pro LGBT would probably consider it as homophobia.

15. Dorimori

Dorimori professional lurker

Mar 17, 2016
    United States
    the closet
    I would see "GOD HATES FAGS" as homophobic, but not "I don't agree with gay people due to my religion" as homophobic.

16. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I don't agree with religion cause of me sexuality.
    It's equally stupid really.

VinsCool and Tomato Hentai like this.
  17. insidexdeath

insidexdeath .

Apr 13, 2010
    Ya definitely, but the truth is; both sides are very defensive in what they believe in, what they support and that always resorts to personal attacks etc.

Yes I'm generalising, because I've yet to see anti-LGBT and pro-LGBT actually have a normal debate regarding this topic.

18. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Hey, I dislike Pride and the community that comes with it. And that apparently makes me an asshole. No, I'm seriously not straight, and I do believe in standing up for our rights (because the religious right seems to think that trampling all over our rights makes them better for it), I just don't like that Pride has become a tangled mess of tourists, big name artists and politicians to come in and use it as a platform for their agendas.

Also, why the hell is Pride always loud and obnoxious? I always get tired at Pride because it's fulfilling every single stereotype of gay people.

Edit: I'm going to the quieter version of it this year...seriously..

Last edited by astrangeone, May 27, 2016
  19. Crusylicious

Crusylicious Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2011
    United States
    Georgia
    A phobia isn't just a fear, but an extreme or irrational fear. Most of the time people say or are said to have a phobia it is actually not the case and a misuse of the word/s.

20. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat sipp

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    I guess so. I believe people are slapping phobic on the end of anything to make you sound like a bad person if you argue with them these days.

Touko White and Tomato Hentai like this.