Hardware Can someone make a NAND pub that uses a different BGA socket than the one In the Switch

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As you all know the Switch’s internal storage has been upgraded to 256gb but that is where the upgrade ends. The reason for this is that no manufacturer makes a chip that is more than 256gb in size that will fit the BGA layout that the chip uses. Which I believe is BGA169. What I am proposing is that someone designs a chip with a different BGA Layout (maybe one similar to an iPhone) so that larger chips can be used. How hard would this be for someone to make and would it need any other kind of "driver" to work?

Reactions: FXDX

FXDX

Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
The eMMC switch is on the BGA 153 architecture, similar to 169. I don't know if it is possible that you want it, but here are definitely more well-qualified guys in the field to answer you.
I'm really curious if it works

Last edited by FXDX,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are two approaches people might use here.

1) Actually design a chip. NAND manufacture is something of a strange beast compared to basic gates and transistors style chips, and recent years have only made it worse. While I can see a custom from the ground up chip happening in the next year or two (we likely already have examples) I am not sure what NAND might do, though I will cover a possibility in a moment.
2) Do some kind of breakout socket or rerouting hack. Breakout sockets are fairly by the by (until we get to worrying about timing/interference/impedance, which at these speeds and sizes is something you might have to worry about) and are little more than a fancy circuit board with some vias. Rerouting was probably best seen practically in the xeon to core 2 adapters popular the other year -- https://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

A hybrid of the two might be an option for some. Here you would buy an off the shelf NAND chip with all the relevant requirements with regards to crypto and whatever else (might be able to do it externally but still on the "chip" though) without any bond/encapsulation in a package and make up your own package for it.

Or if you prefer there is a reason any NAND chip mods you see on consoles it will either be a simple off the shelf mod, cannibalising another machine to add it, using some kind of breakout to wire in a basic XD card (much like CF is basically IDE hence the easy hard drive adapters then XD is basically a raw NAND chip) as this sort of thing is way beyond what we normally see modder and mod companies have the resources for. Not to mention it is usually 1000 times easier to use one of the other storage methods available (USB might not be your thing but SD should be able to be made to work, though looking at the custom firmware world it might take doing it yourself).

Reactions: FXDX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte