Can someone help tell if these are fakes? Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by GinaZ89, Feb 26, 2015.

1. GinaZ89
    OP

GinaZ89 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2015
    United States
    I've read several different guides about trying to identify real vs counterfeit cartridges, and yet I think I got duped anyway :glare:

When looking at the front, everything seems ok to me, including that they both have what appears to be a factory imprint on the stickers. However, they both happen to be imprinted as 11, which for some reason seemed odd to me. Also, there is a stamp in the internal board. But there isn't the oval around the word Nintendo, and it doesn't have the little copyright at the end of the word Nintendo. I do not have the tri-screwdriver in order to open it up to see the actual board inside.

The cartridges themselves were a little bit more snug when putting it into my GBA. On start up, it played the start up little scene, but when I hit start it showed me the controls of the game and a little intro about the game and little tips like to talk to everyone, blah blah blah. Then it just dove right into the game, not the menu of continue or start new game.

I've tried to get some good pics and would really appreciate some opinions. Thanks in advance.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. yafeee

yafeee Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2008
    France
    Is the sticker shiny ? If it is, it looks like genuine cartridges.

To be sure, try to be certain that there is no battery to hold the save.

I bought a really well done fake of Fire Red on eBay, with no battery, and a chip soldered to an original GBA cartridge (and finally got a refund :angry:). At every startup, it displayed that the save file was corrupted, except for that the game was working fine.

3. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Idk looks funny to me.
    And I thought all carts has the weird screw on the back not a tri wing

*edit
    Neverending that's for gameboy color.

But still they look a bit off but it's been a while since I seen one.

4. GinaZ89
    OP

GinaZ89 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2015
    United States
    They are shiny holographic stickers. Maybe I'm just paranoid but the fact that the imprint on both stickers happen to both be an 11 and are in the exact same spot on each... Wish I had a tri-screwdriver so I could get a look at the inside

5. yafeee

yafeee Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2008
    France
    I don't think there is these numbers on fake cartridges. My genuine french saphir has 12, my genuine french leaf green has 15, but my fake french fire red has nothing.

6. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    notice the 4 squares on the back of my legit carts, also the pins run up the back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. GinaZ89
    OP

GinaZ89 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2015
    United States
    Is there any place I can find out what a legit serial number on the inner board should be? I've read on one website that the AGB-E05-01 is a sign that it is usually fake, that real copies from Nintendo never have that number on them.

Also, do you happen to know where I can get a tri-screwdriver?

8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    internal pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. GinaZ89
    OP

GinaZ89 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2015
    United States
    So do you think mine are fake Joe? The stamp on the board doesn't have the oval around the word Nintendo, nor the little copyright logo at the end of the word Nintendo either.

10. GinaZ89
    OP

GinaZ89 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2015
    United States
    I was curious if an authentic game shows the controls before the game starts or not?

Attached Files:

11. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    yes, it jumps straight into the instructions if no save game is present

the roms are real but the carts are fake, at least imo

12. GinaZ89
    OP

GinaZ89 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2015
    United States
    Ok, thank you. If I can find the right type of screwdriver and can get the cart open, I'll be sure to update with pics

13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    GinaZ89 Your cartridges look pretty damn similar to Joe88's, one of his doesn't have the oval around Nintendo or the copyright symbol either. So I think it's safe to say not all boards are made identically.
    Only way to know for sure would be to open it, but to me they look real.

GinaZ89 likes this.
  14. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I'm just going by the back of it
    Those 4 rectangles are missing, the pins dont run up the back, theres metalic circles where the pins should be

15. qwertymodo

qwertymodo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 1, 2010
    United States
    Macronix mask ROMs, they're legit.