Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I have seagate HDD that s split in two partitions, on one i got data (pics, games etc...) in other nothing its empty. i tried to merge two wolumes into one in disk management but instead basic partition i got dynamic...what is that, is that a problem..how can i convert it if its a problem to a basic disc WITHOUT losing data (its important data)?
I want it to be like MAXTOR HDD is...

Also, i wont be installing windows on those two HDD's those are only for data, that C one is SSD disk for my operating system.

Untitled.png

Last edited by Metoroid0,

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what vinny said, but in the future, even though you most likely wont lose data doing this stuff, ALWAYS back up the drive first. I lost a ton of data because I was resizing the F: partition on my backup drive and something went wrong, and the drive got corrupt, probably only the partition tables, but the drive was ruined. i managed to recover some data, but a lot was lost. luckily i recovered most of the important stuff.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
what vinny said, but in the future, even though you most likely wont lose data doing this stuff, ALWAYS back up the drive first. I lost a ton of data because I was resizing the F: partition on my backup drive and something went wrong, and the drive got corrupt, probably only the partition tables, but the drive was ruined. i managed to recover some data, but a lot was lost. luckily i recovered most of the important stuff.
seriously... so this dude messes around with options he is not familiar with or have an idea what he is doing (he changed a disk to dynamic) and most likely doesn't have backups?
come on, he is just asking for it...

i don't want to be salty but come on... lets put some common sense here.. if data is important, don't mess around with disk management without knowledge of what you are doing..

Last edited by migles,
Reactions: CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seriously... so this dude messes around with options he is not familiar with or have an idea what he is doing (he changed a disk to dynamic) and most likely doesn't have backups?

i don't want to be salty but come on... lets put some common sense here.. if data is important, don't mess around with disk management without knowledge of what you are doing..
and i knew what i was doing when i damaged my disk :I
It was still a long time ago, and i knew i shouldve backed up my drive, but i had literally terabytes of data on the drive.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I expanded the partition but this happenes. i have no free space, its one hdd in my computer

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I was watching a tutorial, and i did not loose data its working normally, i just ask if dynamic disk is a problem.

Delete the empty partition, and expand the one you want to have more space.
Thats what i did, but this happened, it made a dynamic partition, and its as one partition in my computer, but in disk management it shows two as you can see in pics

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
if you plan on continuing to mess with your drives, backup the data while you can
I know that and i dont mind..its important to me, but its not goverment top secret files...I messed with empty drive partition, i just merged full with empty one.
Also, can you help me to figure out this problem and warn me of potential risks from your experience?

the same thing i said applies...
you can end up deleting all the data...
dynamic is not a problem..
What exactly is a dynamic? what same thing aplies, to merge?

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that and i dont mind..its important to me, but its not goverment top secret files...I messed with empty drive partition, i just merged full with empty one.
Also, can you help me to figure out this problem and warn me of potential risks from your experience?

What exactly is a dynamic? what same thing aplies, to merge?
dynamic shouldn't matter to you if its an internal drive. Dynamic uses volumes instead of partitions and other minor differences. The only big difference between dynamic and basic is that dynamic is only supported by windows AFAIK. So if its internal, then you're fine. If its an external that may possibly one day be used with a mac or linux pc, Use basic. Also, if there is any data you want, back it up, it doesn't have to be hillary's emails, but even, i don't know, pictures of your dog that you want to keep. If you're merging an empty partition with a non empty drive... you still risk your data on the non empty drive. Back it up.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
There is a backup partition table tho.

For whatever reason, my laptop stopped booting (happened twice) and I grabbed a Linux LiveCD and used GPT fdisk, just selected my SSHD, it detected the partition table as corrupt, loaded the backup table, and I just selected "Write changes to disk" and it overwrote the corrupt table with the good one.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x using Tapatalk

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a backup partition table tho.

For whatever reason, my laptop stopped booting (happened twice) and I grabbed a Linux LiveCD and used GPT fdisk, just selected my SSHD, it detected the partition table as corrupt, loaded the backup table, and I just selected "Write changes to disk" and it overwrote the corrupt table with the good one.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x using Tapatalk
well then either both are being written to when repartitioning, or mine didnt have backup table. both are possible. it may depend on filesystem :shrug:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended