Can someone help me sort this out?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Oisterboy, Aug 26, 2010.

Aug 26, 2010
  1. Oisterboy
    OP

Member Oisterboy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I had a Wii, but I sold it about 8 months ago...I had it softmodded...and I loved being able to play backups, but the constant patching really bothered me. Every time I'd mess with the cIOS to get a new game running, I was terrified I was going to break it.

I'd like something thats idiot-resistant. Not that I'm an idiot, but I'd like it to be more simple than softmodding.

I can't solder, nor do I know anyone who has enough skill for me to trust them. Meaning, I really need a solder-less chip...I got my Wii at launch, and did all my softmodding VERY early in. There weren't many chips available at the time, let alone solder-less ones.

I'd like to play games from a USB hard drive OR discs. I don't have a hard drive now, but I'd like the option later on.

Shop channel WADs are pretty important to me. I often like mini-games more than I like disc games. Is there a chip that lets me put WADs in from an SD card or something? Also, is there a chip that'll let me use Netflix?

So...in other words...I want it to just work. Burn disc, insert into console, play via disc channel (if possible)...any input is very, very much appreciated. If there isn't a chip out doing what I'm hoping for, I think I'll try a PS3 this time around...but I'd like to give the Wii another shot...

2. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    Disclaimer: I did not even consider hardmoding since softmods are available.

The new drives wont read burned disks with a softmod,
    Afaik they wont do it with a hardmod too.

The options of usb hardmods are limmited.
    Only sundrive and wode come to my mind.

Plus some chips that require a running PC (flatsomething?).

But as I see it these are all about as hard to use as softmods but ymmv

3. Oisterboy
    OP

United States
    I should have mentioned that I won't be getting a brand new Wii, I'll be getting a used one from a used game store nearby.

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Chips can only make the wii accept DVD-Rs as wii discs, nothing more, for WADs you would need the same as anybody without modchip. If you use some flatcable modchip, which you just plug in between drive and wii, then keep in mind that playing discs with the wii's dvd drive requires an old wii that would also play DVD-Rs on a softmod(both is using the same video dvd exploit).

5. overlord00

Member overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Australia
    without reading past a particular point i quote this:
    wtf man, softmodding (softmod-loading) was on the scene LOOOOOOOOOOONG after the chips where there... like long after.
    chips were there since only a couple of weeks/months after launch.

also, try to find the oldest wii you can... bootmii as boot2 is pretty great.

6. Oisterboy
    OP

United States
    Ugh. I'm just gonna save for the PS3 then. I think I've already played all the games I cared about playing anyway.

Thanks guys!