Can someone help me get Windows 3.11 up and running?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Shinigami Kiba, May 11, 2009.

1. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Member Shinigami Kiba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    I don't really know how to install 3.11 myself with DOSBox cause im not sure how the whole changing of floppies would work so i just downloaded a pre-installed version, it's some pretty neat version that seems to be using an alternative shell much like i do with XP or something.
    [​IMG]
    But, when i try to boot this on my wii it just goes to a black screen, stays there for a while and then DOSBox crashes to back to HBC

Can someone either write a guide on how to install windows 3.11 on the wii or tell me how to fix this pre-installed one i have so that i can get it up and running on the Wii? I like this one cause it has MS Office and everything

2. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    dos is 16bit, win 3.11 is 32bit - it probably tries to access cpu/addressing modes that dosbox dont support.

it's crap anyway - like all versions of windows.
    i know, i used it when it was new.

if you want to try something better in dosbox then try OS2-warp
    i dont know if dosbox will run it, but it was written to replace windoze 3.11 by microsoft - they then sold it to ibm for some reason!

3. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    DOS is 16 bit?
    Jeez, we can't even install the first version of Mac OS.

4. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    This isn't exactly Wii related.

5. Omega Knight

Member Omega Knight GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My thoughts exactly.

6. maduin

Member maduin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    he's using trying to use dosbox to run windows 3.1 on this Wii, it's Wii related.

7. retrobits2

Newcomer retrobits2 Newbie

United States
  8. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

thanks, but I was looking for more Wii specific settings.
    I guess I'll fiddle around with the dosbox conig file, change the amount of ram it uses and try out different video modes and see what happens.

I've seen 3.11 run on the Wii pretty well so I guess I'll have to figure out what works and what doesn't for it myself.
    but thanks for the guide, I'll use it in case I have to do a fresh 3.11 install if this preinstalled one I got doesn't work.

9. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

after messing around with it I did get that windows to start up, it was running pretty slow but it's ok considering this is the wii and all.

But i'm not sure if DOSBox is safe to mess around with, I'm worried i might have damaged my Wii's CPU or RAM, I was forcing CPU on max cycles and crap to see if Jazz Jackrabbit would work, the intro starts fine and then it gets a MASSIVE lag which eventually seems to lead to a complete freeze or if you quit DOSBox while this lag is on and try to run another application from the HBC the system freezes.
    Tried this a couple times, i think it overloads something either the processor or the RAM.

I tried playing a random wii game after all that testing, it worked, but now I dunno if i want to keep messing around with DOSbox on the wii? Can i damage my system somehow with it?

10. dottor_male

Member dottor_male GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Well, I think we can run Windows 3.11 pretty fast on a Wii, considering that it was fast on my very old 286! Even if it is through dos box...

Also dosbox doesn't touch CPU/RAM frequency. What it does is "emulating" a slower cpu on a modern cpu. Maybe you have reached the limits of the Wii CPU, so it simply lag (like when you put you CPU at 100% doing a rendering with 3ds MAX and try to do something else).

Maybe it doesn't clear the ram? If you reset your wii everything works normally, right?

11. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland

Done thanks to dosbox and Tantric who ported it. Runs just about, going to try 95 but I doubt it will be usable. The wii mote is used as the mouse which makes it hard to double click icons. It is also quite hard to draw straight lines on paint xD. I installed this on the wii to which took around an hour.

so it seems patients is key lol I sent the vid creator a PM asking for the tutorial he used or sources he used hopefully he will shoot me a PM back?! ill keep ya posted...

12. piratesmack

Member piratesmack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I wonder if it would be possible to port Qemu or Bochs to the Wii.

13. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    Sure the psp did bochs i believe and its max cpu OVER CLOCKED is 333 mhz...Wii should have the ability to do bochs at least! Hell if memory serves bochs emulated Win95 on a PSP over at DCemu way back in the day!

14. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

I did a clean install of 3.11 on the Wii itself, but THE only way to get Windows working, at least for me is to have both windows itself use EGA drivers and set dosbox to EGA, also the memory usage has to be 24MB it seems, the guy that made that video said he used 30MB but that seems to use up too much of the Wii's memory and windows is unstable that way.

The pre-installed 3.11 crashes and freezes but the new, clean instlall I did myself seems to work pretty well but the resolution when using EGA Drivers is bad, I don't think the guy in the video uses EGA for windows but for me it wouldn't install unless I installed EGA drivers with it once i set DOSbox to EGA.

15. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    I know the guy who got 3.1 working well and its easy to run. Basically copy the installed 3.1 across, run it in DOSbox, press ctrl-f8 then ctrl-f12 and wait...a...long...time...

16. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    If we can Port a 32bit DOSbox-like runner for the wii, we vould provlebly pretty much run anything.

17. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    3.11 is much more advanced than 3.1 and another thing is that the ppc cpu is nothing like x86 architecture.

most of your cpu cycles arent to emulate dos, they are to emulate the 386 cpu(or a NEC v30).
    (win 3.11 wont run on a 286)

18. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

So you're saying I should try 3.1 instead of 3.11? Didn't know there was that much of a difference.
    I did get 3.11 to work now, but I don't like the resolution it uses with EGA at all, I'll have to find 3.1 now somewhere and install that, see how that works.

19. hdhacker

Member hdhacker GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just curious... What app is so great in Windows 3.1 worth all this trouble?

20. chalfant

Newcomer chalfant Member

United States
    Win 3.11 is 16/32 bit kernel, was just an update to win 3.1 and was before NT 3.5/3.51. Has 32bit disk and network API's. It's not a full 32bit kernel, XP was the first.