Can someone help me gathering drivers for my Dell?

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
OP
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Before commenting, read this:
I recieved a lot of feedback from people, with various different options. These are the plans I have:
-Google some information about the hardware that's installed.
-Mail Dell asking if they can send the correct drivers.
-Try out various other drivers listed on the page if I do not recieve the drivers from Dell.

If that doesn't work, I will install Ubuntu, just to be done with this endless discussion. Ubuntu can easily install these drivere via Terminal, but I also recieved backlash from people telling me to install Windows 7. For the record, installing Windows 7 does not fix any driver issues, in fact, it doesn't fix anything at all. It came with Windows XP from the factory, and that's what I'm trying to do here. That's how restoration works.

I will try my best to give updates through my busy days. If people come here to start endless discussions about OS'es, please leave. Once these issues have been fixed with the laptop, a post edit will be made for future reference and the thread will be locked to avoid further frustration.
Alright, gonna give these updates soon!
-Trash_BDC

(old post)
So I recently decided to restore an old Dell my family has. It had a ton of virusses and some private stuff, so I took that off. I then tried my best to find a proper Windows XP Professional iso in Dutch and Service Pack 3 (which I didn't find but it has to do) but I just can't find any of the drivers after that.
I never backed them up, thinking they weren't required.
This is all I could find: https://www.dell.com/support/home/nl/nl/nlbsdt1/product-support/product/latitude-d630/drivers

If someone can help me searching some sound drivers, network drivers, screen drivers (the screen resolution is not correct and doesnt go any higher) and some other drivers that I probably need for my Dell Latitude D630, then feel free to help me!

Last edited by MaxiBash,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow. There are so many downloads on the page you linked.
Doesn't any of those two fit for the graphics chip?

Video_Drivers.png

You could also start a live Linux and run
sudo lspci
to get exact hardware description for searching on other places than Dell.

MaxiBash

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands

View attachment 156846

sudo lspci
I should do that, I can't find my way through anything on the laptop. Hell, I even tried installing Ubuntu, and even that crashed in 2 nanoseconds.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

View attachment 156846

sudo lspci
Also, where can I get a live Linux? I've never used it before, it should look like a command prompt, isn't it?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Live Linux not necessary command line only. Easiest is normally Ubuntu. But it crashes for you...

Which version did you try? Maybe an older version works better. Try Ubuntu Mate 16.04.5, 32-bit version. (Hopefully the hotlink works - else search for it)

There are a ton of Live Linux distributions. Just search for "Debian Live" or "Fedora Live" or "Knoppix"

I think a useful package is missing in standard Ubuntu images. Connect the laptop with ethernet cable if possible (WiFi sometimes makes trouble). If your live Linux boots and you have internet connection try:
sudo apt install hwinfo #(For the case the package is missing)
sudo hwinfo --short
This gives a nice overview over the hardware. Or if you want the full version (that is VERBOSE!!):
hwinfo > ~/Desktop/hardware.txt #Open the file hardware.txt in a text editor.

The hwinfo program takes a while. You can also specify certain hardware parts like
hwinfo --gfxcard ä use the --help option for more information

Reactions: IncredulousP

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should not use Windows XP. It no longer receives security updates and is full of known vulnerabilities that are actively exploited by malware. You should instead install one of the following:
  1. Windows 7 (not recommended, since it will stop receiving security updates itself in early 2020)
  2. Windows 8.1 (not recommended, since it will stop receiving security updates in 2023)
  3. Windows 10 (it should be compatible with the Latitude D630 as long as your BIOS is up to date, but it might be sluggish)
  4. Linux (perhaps an easy-to-install lightweight distro like Lubuntu 64-bit)

MaxiBash

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
You should not use Windows XP. It no longer receives security updates and is full of known vulnerabilities that are actively exploited by malware.
I know, but the plan was to restore it to a functional state.

1. Windows 10 (it should be compatible with the Latitude D630 as long as your BIOS is up to date, but it might be sluggish)
  2. Linux (perhaps an easy-to-install lightweight distro like Lubuntu 64-bit)
I once tried Windows 10 with only 3.5GB of RAM (while 8GB was installed but could not be activated), it couldn't even handle Edge and it wouldn't let me install Chrome. Again, Linux is kinda choppy for this laptop, it crashed on 16.04 and then the ISO never started up again, and all it displayed is an error code in hex values. Really unfortunate, since Ubuntu was my plan A, but it might be now my plan C.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once tried Windows 10 with only 3.5GB of RAM (while 8GB was installed but could not be activated), it couldn't even handle Edge and it wouldn't let me install Chrome. Again, Linux is kinda choppy for this laptop, it crashed on 16.04 and then the ISO never started up again, and all it displayed is an error code in hex values. Really unfortunate, since Ubuntu was my plan A, but it might be now my plan C.
Have you tried installing Lubuntu 18.04 using the alternate installer? If I were you, I'd visit this link, download lubuntu-18.04-alternate-amd64.iso, create a bootable USB stick with it, and try it with the computer.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry, this is a 32-bit laptop, it has no amd64. :ha: I'm trying to make now a Lubuntu 16.04 live USB.
Try a 32-bit version first. The laptop is old. Searching for Dell Latitude D630 gave me this processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 / 2 GHz
According to the Intel page it has 64-bit. Try running hwinfo --short. Then you will exactly know what is inside the machine.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, this is a 32-bit laptop, it has no amd64. :ha: I'm trying to make now a Lubuntu 16.04 live USB.
Try a 32-bit version first. The laptop is old. Searching for Dell Latitude D630 gave me this processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 / 2 GHz
According to the Intel page it has 64-bit. Try running hwinfo --short. Then you will exactly know what is inside the machine.
The laptop should support 64-bit Lubuntu, and Lubuntu is dropping support for 32-bit with the next LTS release (as are all of the official Ubuntu flavors). So, I recommended the 64-bit version of Lubuntu.

MaxiBash

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
The laptop should support 64-bit Lubuntu, and Lubuntu is dropping support for 32-bit with the next LTS release (as are all of the official Ubuntu flavors). So, I recommended the 64-bit version of Lubuntu.
I'll try the 64-bit release maybe later. It finally loaded Lubuntu. Turns out it didn't crash, but since I first was using a DVD+RW with 4x speed, it was stuck on that hex screen for so long, I thought it crashed. Now I'll follow some of the stuff KleinesSinchen just mentioned so we can get the hardware description.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try the 64-bit release maybe later. It finally loaded Lubuntu. Turns out it didn't crash, but since I first was using a DVD+RW with 4x speed, it was stuck on that hex screen for so long, I thought it crashed. Now I'll follow some of the stuff KleinesSinchen just mentioned so we can get the hardware description.
32-bit Lubuntu isn't recommended for the same reason Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 aren't recommended: You will lose security support with 32-bit Lubuntu in 2021.

Reactions: MaxiBash

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Because I’ve encountered various errors with 64-bit Linux on early 64-bit machines in the past, I suggested the 32-bit variant. This eliminates a possible cause of failure. I don’t see a problem with testing the laptop with a 32-bit version first. Dropped support in the future has zero impact on that.

Of course, if it works, 64-bit is the MUCH better alternative for permanent use.
32-bit Lubuntu isn't recommended for the same reason Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 aren't recommended: You will lose security support with 32-bit Lubuntu in 2021.
Is this one of these "Only the main Ubuntu gets five years support" -problems? I don't use Ubuntu on productive systems and don't know about their life cycles.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I had the inspiron equivalent of that model and ran windows vista x64 on it. I may have upgraded it to windows 8 as well, it was a long time ago.

I'm posting this from my old beat up xps m1530 running windows 10 1809 x64. It has a core 2 duo t9300 (2.50ghz) and 4gb of ram. I can't remember if I used edge on here, but I'm using chrome.

about:version says

Google Chrome 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit) (cohort: Stable)
Revision 15234034d19b85dcd9a03b164ae89d04145d8368-refs/branch-heads/3578@{#897}

Both your machine and mine can be upgraded to 8gb of ram, although I'm not sure if it's worth the money.

Sometimes I wish it had an ssd, but it's pretty usable considering how old it is.

Last edited by smf,

MaxiBash

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Finally started up and performed the command. This is everything that's listed.
20190202_162810.jpg

However, the weird thing is that Windows XP and even Ubuntu has no wireless internet options, despite before the C: drive format, it could connect effordlessly. There's even a switch on the back that enables, disables and can open a list of wifi connections. Even connecting via LAN doesn't work! Did formatting kill internet connectivity?

Last edited by MaxiBash,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did formatting kill internet connectivity?

It'll be a driver issue. I'd make sure the bios is updated, go into the bios setup and restore defaults and then grab the windows 10 1809 x64 iso and install it.

Even if wifi doesn't work, the on board ethernet should. If neither work, then you can try the vista x64 drivers from dell (I'd probably start with ethernet first).

Last edited by smf,

MaxiBash

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
It'll be a driver issue. I'd make sure the bios is updated, go into the bios setup and restore defaults and then grab the windows 10 1809 x64 iso and install it.

Even if wifi doesn't work, the on board ethernet should.
The current BIOS is A15, the site I mentioned has A17. Guess it was useful for something!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The current BIOS is A15, the site I mentioned has A17. Guess it was useful for something!

I'm actually using sound drivers from dell, even though they aren't specifically listed for windows 10. They are the only ones I found where speakers and internal microphone work properly, because they need to be configured for each model & dell is the only place where you can get ones with the correct configuration.

I tend to let windows update find as much as possible, then install something driver booster & perfect updater to let me know if I'm out of date on anything. I don't usually let it install though, I google around until I find the manufacturer hosting it or somewhere like station-drivers

I'm just using generic touch pad drivers, but at some point I want to get the (ALPS I think) proper drivers so I can get gestures. But finding the correct ones that work reliably has been a pain in the past. Get the wrong one and after moving the mouse pointer round for a while, it just starts beeping as you move the pointer (like you get when a buffer overflows) and it stops moving.

It's a bit of a pain running a modern os on a machine older than 10 years, but it works well enough. It certainly seems just as fast web browsing as it did when I originally had it.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1