Can someone explain how to update some PSP CFW to a beginner?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by DeltaBladeX, Jun 29, 2011.

1. DeltaBladeX
    OP

DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

Jul 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Honestly never touched a PSP before, but I planned on getting one next week since I have been wanting to get some games I would kill to see on the DS, like Outrun 2006, and they actually look cheap enough for me to just go for it. A friend who doesn't use his own system much lent me his so I can get used to it. However, his system is running some custom firmware that I know is out of date. He hasn't updated for ages since his PC is fried and he never gets any new UMDs for it, so hasn't been a problem for him, but since I have my hands on it for now, I thought I'd try to do it if it looks easy enough. After all, I wouldn't won't to brick his system.

Anyway, the system software section mentions it is running 5.00 M33-4, and its a model 2000 PSP. How would I go about getting his system up to date?

Sorry if this was covered in another topic, just that they seem to be about putting CFW on the system in the first place, and don't mention updating since it is likely obvious to anyone who installed it already.

2. Schlupi

Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Rozen Queen Co, Chicago Branch
  3. DeltaBladeX
    OP

DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

Jul 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Sorry, I thought that was for installing from scratch. I just wanted to put this one up to whatever is the latest for it.

4. Schlupi

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Either way, sorry if I sounded mean... I am tired.

1. Install 6.20 OFW (official firmware) with 6.20 updater
    2. Run 6.20 PRO-B7 installer
    3. Run 6.20 Permanent Patch

DONE! No Pandora Batteries, to crazy shit... it's easy nowadays. If you ever need to upgrade/downgrade, use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher to install your selected FW version (OFW or CFW).

Hope I could help.

5. DeltaBladeX
    OP

DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

Jul 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    No, its fair enough. I should have read a bit more. Its just that I was really only planning on getting this firmware to the latest version for it (I assumed there would be some update utility, plug in the USB cable and run, or run some file just to get this M33 to whatever it is now). Didn't want to go installing some other firmware without asking the guy first. Thanks for the help though, it will be useful when I get my own in a week.

6. Schlupi

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Yeah, PRO-7 will run all new games pretty much, and BE CAREFUL, if you're getting a newer model, you MAY not be able to install the perma patch. Make sure to read Rydian's sticky! [​IMG]

and with that I go to sleep.