Can someone clarify the controversial issue with Mass Effect: Andromeda's face presets?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by RemixDeluxe, Mar 21, 2017.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Everyone is complaining about the faces in the game. I noticed the movement animation of the bodies themselves to be a bit odd but the faces themselves seem as generic as any other modern game.

What is the issue that is so problematic with the faces? I'm trying my best to see it for myself.

2. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    anyone? I'm surprised this isnt being talked more.

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    PC gamers are always complaining about something stupid.

4. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    They look botchered, according to what I've seen everywhere.

5. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    I think for a AAA title, people expect better animations and styling than what's being previewed.
    Compare the animations seen here to Witcher 3's and I think you'll start to understand. Not sure the clips are in the final product.
    On a side note, even the faces in the original look better to me lol

Last edited by raystriker, Mar 21, 2017
  6. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Remember Conan?
    I'm still running around flopping me digital dick everywhere.

Have done nothing else but that ever since launch.

7. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I cant view that video. Do you have a youtube link instead?

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Just look at all the comparison images everyone else has been throwing around. Most of the faces just look bad, worse than the first Mass Effect game that's 10 years older than this which is not really "ok". I think they just overdid the "extremely realistic facial expressions" thing they tried to do which made the model's look "bulkier" in certain areas in the face.

Personally, though, I don't really care that much. I don't excessively stare at the faces of any character in a game unless it's somehow super relevant. Just like how you don't excessively stare at real people's faces in real life.

9. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    This video really helped me see what its all about. The faces are all stiff and unrealistic, they just show no expression and something about the eyes seem off too.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

This is what the eyes reminded me of after seeing the video. Anyone remember this movie?

http://cjonline.com/sites/default/files/photos/new072911wkd1marsattacks3.jpg

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    This one had passed me by as well.

I wonder if this the uncanny valley at work. I could well believe they did put the serious effort into this. Certainly from what I see above I would hate to animate that scene, let alone a whole game and definitely not as some kind of procedural/canned affair, but the end result, especially when coupled with some less than stellar audio work (actors seemed fine, don't know if they recorded it on a headset mic and mixed it on my 90's cheap hifi tape dubber though) and not so hot textures, really left something to be desired. The pumped features could well be a wallace and gromit ploy but they neglected to add the charm.