Can someone add lz77 support to waninkoko's nand loader please

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by wilsoff, Jan 27, 2010.

1. wilsoff
    OP

Member wilsoff GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Waninkoko's nand loader seems to be the most fully featured and reliable. Some people don't like it because of the gui that flashes, but that's easily removed.

It lacks a few things:
    1. 002 error fix - I can add this - it's an easy copy paste from triiforce
    2. time fix - I can add this - it's an easy copy paste from triiforce
    3. lz77 support - this is beyond me and I hope you can help.

The Lemon Man has created a nandloader with lz77 support, but I find it unreliable, even without using lz77. Would anyone be willing to add lz77 to wanin's nand loader please? I'll do the rest if you like and thne it can be shared here or elsehwere.

wanin source: http://github.com/waninkoko/nand-loader
    taiko source: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Taiko

2. Leathl

Member Leathl GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I don't see it's necessary. The other fixes would be great, but Lz77 on a dol won't do much as most channel dols are forwarders ~ 500 - 1500kb and it would be compressed to about 100 - 200kb less.
    Maybe for some big dols aka full channels..

3. wilsoff
    OP

United States
    I prefer full channels wherever the app will run without an SD card . e.g.:
    wii2600
    wiierth
    atd etc.

(I swap between a few different cards)

Compression would also be handy for:
    cross region WiiFit plus channel and iPlayer

Also for VC and forcing 60Hz NTSC on PAL only releases.

4. Leathl

Member Leathl GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Why don't you use taiko then? (Is it even working? Personally, I never managed to get it working..)

5. wilsoff
    OP

United States
    Strangely it works sometimes.

To get it to work I had to use wiifitplus channel as a base, with my edits it has the following structure:

00.app - banner
    01.app - main dol
    02.app - 04.app - basically an empty U8 archive
    05.app - taiko nand loader

Then I changed the .tik and .tmd so it installed it to the installed cahnnels folder 00010001 instead of games with channel in 00010004.

Packed it all back up with showmiiwads (thanks!)

When I install it then it *usually* works fine, but only on the first load of the channel. Then if I try to load it again it black screens.

To get it to run again I have to use ATD to delete it and reinstall it. Then it *usually* runs once again.

I've taken out all of the code that tries to save a config file on the nand, and that's helped a bit. Now, occaisionally I've managed to install it so that it keeps running, but it seems random. But if I delete and reinstall the very same wad then it may only run once.

Totally stumped.

6. stev418

Member stev418 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    i already released an update for the loader with the first 2 fixes, also an "Anti-green screen fix" and stripped the gui so its just a plain 'force ntsc' the other

the error 002 fix i added is hard coded though (Ive made a few variants for different IOS versions), have you used the 002 fix with search capabilities then?

i can have a look at lz77 stuff again, but as im not a coder, for me its just as easy to have the 01.app decompressed fully anyway. I have a PAL wii but all my VC are ntsc with a nand-loader replacement so they all run at 60hz. I do yes where there is definitely a use for the lz77 in a replacemnt loader though so hope someone does it, even if it was just a hard coded version for both the 0x10 and 0x11 variants, at least that would cut out the whole .dol check function.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=198...p;#entry2478617

7. wilsoff
    OP

United States
    Interesting. I used this tool: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dollz to compress the wii2600 dol. It made it half the size and runs just fine with comex nandloader. Perhaps it'll work for VC/WiiFit?

EDIT: It works with WiiFit (with wanin nandloader), takes it down from 121 blocks to 107. (01.app compresses from 3,200kb to 1,400kb). It's possibly a second slower to load, but not an issue at all.

8. stev418

Member stev418 GBAtemp Fan

Australia