Can somebody help me partition my HDD?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by drakorex, Mar 17, 2011.

1. drakorex
    OP

drakorex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    I got a seagate HDD the other day, and when I tried to format it to fat32 the usual way, it would only format to NTFS. I tried using Wii Backup Manager, and it SAYS that it changed, but it didn't. Any suggestions?

2. kjb1686

kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2009
    United States
    Olean New York
    You can try downloading a partition manager like EASEUS partition manager and format it using that and you can also use it to partition the drive. For the program google it i don't have a link for it.

3. drakorex
    OP

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    I'm using Paragon, but after it formats, I check the file system and it says NTFS

4. Dter ic

Dter ic ~

Feb 19, 2009
    open cmd (comand prompt) as administrator: right click on cmd.exe and select run as administrator

type the following

Code:
    convert G: /FS:FAT32
    where "G" is the drive letter of your seagate HDD (open my computer to find out)

5. samagon

samagon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2008
    United States
    You can't format large drives to fat32 on Windows XP and above. You could use a number of different 3rd party tools. Try fat32format: hxxp://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/FAT32format.shtml

Or if you're using linux just type this into the terminal while you have root access:

mkfs -t vfat -I /dev/sda1

Assuming that sda is the drive you want to format.

6. drakorex
    OP

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    Hey, I got it. WOOT! I just had to run it a couple times.Now then. Is there a need for a NTFS partition for it to function properly, or can I have the whole thing as fat32?

7. Dter ic

Dter ic ~

Feb 19, 2009
    no it is not a nnessesity to have another ntfs partition on that drive, be warned that files over 4gb will not copy over

8. drakorex
    OP

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    Wiiflow read the NTFS but the rest of the wii didn't. Any insight on this?

9. Dter ic

Dter ic ~

Feb 19, 2009
    programs that suport ntfs should read your hardrive

what do you mean 'the rest of the wii didn't"