Can Rules Against Lecturing Be Added?

heat6jones

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know a lot of people here do not like that some people backup games. That's fine, but is it necessary to have these people act like Jesus in about half the threads on this forum accusing people of 'not being real fans' or other silly accusations.

D

Deleted_171835

You can't have a rule against expressing your opinion. If they're not flaming, they're allowed to do that.
Just ignore them.

heat6jones

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
So you want there to be a rule against people having a different opinion to your own?

It's not about having a different opinion, it's about off topic posts. If there is a thread about the release of a game, I don't see that as a place for people to lecture others about how it's wrong to download games. If they want to make a thread about that, fine, but if someone is saying they are downloading a game that has been released, it just seems off topic for people to start making post after post about how wrong it is.

I do ignore it and never reply to these people, but i read all posts and it gets to a point where these people are beating a dead horse and it's tiring to hear this lecturing over and over.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you see, pirating is wrong. You shouldn't do it. It is stealing. Imagine if everyone pirated. What would happen then?

Think about that.

/lecture

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Well you see, pirating is wrong. You shouldn't do it. It is stealing. Imagine if everyone pirated. What would happen then?

Think about that.

/lecture
Imagine: Pirating

I would pirate that game.
smileipb2.png

As for this topic, just ignore them. If you want to, you can also report the posts. I wouldn't, but if you think they are questionable, then report and let a mod decide.

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
Heh... most of the time I've seen people being lectured about piracy on this site is when they flat out don't give a shit about the amount of effort which goes into producing a game.

After all if you really likes a game you should purchase it. The excuse I am too poor to purchase a single game is complete rubbish. If you can't afford to buy the games you like you shouldn't have purchased the console.

I am completely against a having a rule like this and think that if lecturing hardcore pirates can even have a small impact it would be a good thing. If you are going to have a rule against users lecturing others about piracy there should also be a rule against announcing that you have/are going to pirate the game, that is just as off topic.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if random guy starts preaching to random temper, wouldn't he be LOL'd at and suffer through a hailstorm of borderline flaming, trolling, etc? and hey, sometimes, even the most prolific, uh, pirates, preach to unappreciative people who just pop in to wail about what's been dumped and what's not been dumped, the AP, translations, cheats, etc. not all of it is bad, and tempers cope with it well enough.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It wouldn't matter if someone lectures me. I pirate most of my games knowing I steal from the company and I feel absolutely no remorse for it.

In fact, I kinda enjoy knowing those money hungry companies don't get my 40-60$.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually agree with you, heat6jones. People jamming their morals and values down your throat at every given opportunity is fucking annoying. It's like your religion or your politics -- practice them on your own time, shut the fuck up about them in public.

Unfortunately you can't really add a rule about such behaviour. You'll just have to ignore them. They're fucking idiots anyway, for blabbering their shit everywhere where they think people will listen. Tell them to go die in a fire, and the world will be a better place for having less self-centred close-minded douchebags in it.

smile.gif

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Giga_Gaia said:
In fact, I kinda enjoy knowing those money hungry companies don't get my 40-60$.

Have to agree here! I've payed them for so much shovelware that I couldn't try before buying. Now, I can just download, and if I think it's worth anything, I drop cash on it. Unless i'm out of cash, in which case I go without cash for a while, as i'm too young for bills and get free money.

I also hate the holier-than-thou act, it's the internet, and free stuff is available. I'm sure if someone in-store said "Would you rather pay nothing for this game, or give an unreasonable amount of the money you have worked for to a faceless company that wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire if it saved them a couple of dollars?" 100% of people would take the free one.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
SimpyDsi said:
Giga_Gaia said:

Have to agree here! I've payed them for so much shovelware that I couldn't try before buying. Now, I can just download, and if I think it's worth anything, I drop cash on it. Unless i'm out of cash, in which case I go without cash for a while, as i'm too young for bills and get free money.

I also hate the holier-than-thou act, it's the internet, and free stuff is available. I'm sure if someone in-store said "Would you rather pay nothing for this game, or give an unreasonable amount of the money you have worked for to a faceless company that wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire if it saved them a couple of dollars?" 100% of people would say yes.

I love that line "i'm too young for bills and get free money." All I have to say to that is, "I can't wait until you get booted on your ass."

Yes, free stuff is available on the internet, but not all of it should be free. Software licenses exist for a reason.

So...$20 budget title is an unreasonable amount of money to pay for a product that could provide you endless hours of entertainment? I hope you enjoy living without anything that costs more than $20. Furniture. Books. Rent.

Also - Ninty is far from faceless - we have Reggie, Miyamoto, and Iwata as very big personal faces for the company (I'm using Ninty as an example, because that is where most quality Wii titles come from), and Ninty does care about their fan-base. Remember Nintendo AU gave an entire class free Nintendo DS's because of a letter? Free Wii for someone whose Wii burned in a house fire?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: