Can pirated WiiWare/VC cause you to get caught?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by vanillakokakola, Jun 12, 2010.

1. vanillakokakola
    OP

Newcomer vanillakokakola Advanced Member

United States
    I remember reading on a softmodding guide somewhere that Nintendo could be able to catch you if you use WiiWare/Virtual Console games because they can compare your playtime against which games you've actually purchased through the Wii Shop Channel. Can anyone confirm/deny this? And if it can cause you to get caught, what are ways around it?

2. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Nothing, jailhouse rape is the inevitable outcome.

3. ByteMunch

Member ByteMunch GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Of course they could check this, but would probably require a system update and probably an internet connection. Workaround? Stay off WiFi.

Although I very much doubt that N will do this.

4. elmariachi

Member elmariachi GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    In order to do this N should be able to look into your Wii else how would they get your play time info? Well if they even could do that, it would be much easier for them to hack into your Wii and check for modded soft [​IMG]

iow you're sounding a bit paranoia to me ... however I saw there's an app called Paranoia to disconnect you from the wifi at all times, so N can never get into your wii [​IMG]

5. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

If you have the nintendo channel installed and have agreed to whatever terms it shows, you've given permission for your playtime logs to be uploaded (anonymously, it claims) to nintendo for... statistics gathering and research, or some such crap.

6. vanillakokakola
    OP

Newcomer vanillakokakola Advanced Member

United States
    Orange totally clashes with my skintone too [​IMG]

Anyways, thanks for your help guys! Off to get LostWinds and Cave Story to enjoy paranoia free now! (After I make sure Nintendo Channel is uninstalled, since I did install it a year ago, but may have taken it off since)

7. girugamarc

Member girugamarc GBAtemp Fan

United States
    People still use torrents for games? [​IMG]

8. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    Megaupload is one hellava drug.
    And yeah, I leave wifi off, no reason to have it on, I can get my weather from this thing called GOOGLE.

9. quepaso

Member quepaso GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Pirate all the wii games your heart desires. Nintendo has 0 way of knowing anything. Everything is tied to the console and not you as a user.

p.s. - You will find out after trying out a lot of wiiware games, one special thing.

They are absolutely TERRIBLE.

If you thought retail wii games were bad, wait till you try out the majority of the wiiware titles.

10. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Meh, I just think we have too high standards. It's a downloadable service with a very small file size limit. I mean, are all of them the next big thing? No, of course not. But it has a lot of good titles, the Lost Winds games, World of Goo, Zombie Panic in Wonderland (Seriously underrated and underplayed), Master Blaster Overdrive was pretty good, Jett Rocket's coming out, yeah. I am doing this off the top of my head so :S....then there's VC, which has a ton of gems that....we can get for free anyway [​IMG] - But I prefer using VC for N64 games instead, just because there are a few (very few) reports of Wiis burning out because of the homebrew emulator.

11. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    This is so true. [​IMG] I was one of those. I remember it like yesterday. There I was, happily playing Super Mario 64 on wii64. And then...all of the sudden...
    at first I thought it was just a bug. There was a code dump and the screen went black. But then...
    that's when I saw the smoke coming out of the back. I mean really...I think I couldn't believe it. You don't expect code to actually cause a wii to catch on fire, right? And it was on fire, alright. Before I knew it, the fire caught the television...and the drapes which were directly next to them. And then my mother...she tried to...

[​IMG]

I'm sorry. I'm seeing a therapist, but I can't quite talk about it yet. It's just...just...just be careful with wii64. At the very least, have a fire extinguisher next to your television.

12. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    I think pulling logs from your Wii would have much more weight in court than a IP log from some 3rd party website.

The only surely protecting move is note to pirate.

13. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    Anything that you pirate may get you into jail if you do something stupid, except if the developer has made it legal to be downloaded on the internet Eg. GTA1 and 2

14. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Fuck you, you little twerp.

15. fartos32

Member fartos32 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Yes there are some awesome wiiware games, but i wouldnt blame the majority of them sucking due to the file size limit. Sure not every one will be perfect or worth much of your time playing, but some and too many are just completely hopeless. the SNES had a size limit 10 times lower than wiiware and its had heaps of amazing games. after seeing some of the rebirth titles you cant argue that extra space is needed for graphics either.

16. bytor

Member bytor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Personally I disagree strongly with anyone pirating WiiWare games. The majority of WiiWare games are from small independant developers and they need the cash. The games are for the most part very entertaining, very cheap and great value for money - there's absolutely no need to pirate them at all.

17. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    It should be easy to detect and delete all Fakesigned-Channels for Nintendo (hell, didn't even Preloader did this as a joke?), and this is only one way, there are others for shure. And I support them, there are some good games for Wiiware (World of Goo, for example) and the small developers deserve the money. And TT will probably always find a way that we still can have the HBC anyways, so no need to worry [​IMG].

Summary: Nintendo could detect/delete your pirated Channels easely, in many ways. Here's a good tip: Buy your pirated Channels, because then you'll feel much better, and don't have to worry [​IMG]. Or just always update your Wii, the best way around it [​IMG]

(You obviously see that I hate stupid pirates who can't do a research and think for themselves.)