Can no longer dump games using USB Loader 1.5, when I once could...

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by JonLeung, Apr 27, 2009.

1. JonLeung
    OP

Newcomer JonLeung Advanced Member

Canada
    On Friday I bought a new 1 TB WD external HDD. I hooked it up to my Wii (without ever using it on the PC at all).

I used a trick I found on another forum to be able to install the cIOS despite having updated to 4.0U without messing with WADs before. Then I used Waninkoko's cIOS rev10 and installed his SD/USB Loader 1.5.

Everything seemed good so far, I was able to use the USB Loader to format the 1 TB HDD fine and I proceeded to dump all the games I had on hand that very night. A couple froze, but when they did I just restarted and eventually I got them all dumped - or "installed", as the Loader says.

However, when I tried to run them, of the ones I tried, Wii Fit and Link's Crossbow Training actually worked during the few minutes I played. Other games had disc read errors or froze up within a minute, or usually seconds.

Then I read that perhaps 1 TB is too big, and that to dump and/or play games properly I shouldn't be using anything larger than 512 GB. So on Saturday morning I formatted the HDD when hooked up on my computer; it sure took a while. I used the standard "Manage" function in Windows Explorer to do the formatting, and split it into two partitions, in the NTFS format.

Ever since then I've been absolutely unable to dump/install games in the USB Loader. Even the super-quick Wii Sports will freeze up before reaching the end. It will freeze, then crash with an EXCEPTION DSI screen and a CODE DUMP. Seeing as how it worked on Friday, I'm guessing it's more likely a hardware issue than a software one, but I'm still not 100% certain.

Anyway, reformatting this hard drive multiple times in one weekend is crazy, but I didn't know what else to do. I tried using either the first or second partition, trying different sizes, using other programs to format to FAT32 (as opposed to NTFS), or using WBFS Manager to pre-format to the WBFS format rather than let the USB Loader do it. No luck with the dumping.

Other than suggesting I buy a new hard drive, if the hard drive is indeed the issue, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. JonLeung
    OP

Canada
    I may be answering my own question, but in case someone has the same issue...

I seemed to be getting more Exception (DSI) occurences with other things, so I started doubting that it was the hard drive (thank goodness). I was using an SDHC card, but then I decided to move the files to another SDHC card. Then I decided to move just the apps folder to a "normal" (non-HC) SD card.

Using this other SD card, now it doesn't crash when dumping games! Hooray!

I'm dumping all the games that I can while it's still working, and have yet to see if it won't crash while playing, but at least for the moment, a possible solution may simply be to switch SD cards.

Apologies if that was known before, but there you go.

3. Hedgehogofchaos

Member Hedgehogofchaos GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I don't think the sd card has anything to do with it, but i think it is probably more of a software issue/ dvd drive issue. Can you play retail or backup games using the disc channel? Also what firmware are you on now?

4. JonLeung
    OP

Canada
    Still on 4.0U. [​IMG]

Between those two posts I tried everything I could think of - reformatted my hard drive, rescanned it, reinstalled the CIOSes (at least when the homebrew stuff wasn't crashing), a couple times even, and somehow simply switching SD cards fixed it. [​IMG]

Only other thing I could think of is maybe I was doing so much stuff to my Wii and hard drive yesterday that maybe they just needed some time to cool down? Sounds a little ridiculous though, I would think both the Wii and a new external hard drive must be more durable than that, which is why I believe it was the SD swap that fixed everything.

5. square_one

Newcomer square_one Member

United States
    I'm having a similar issue. At first, every game dumped fine...then I had some freezing issues with house of the dead. that eventually dumped, but I can get nothing to go since then...most don't make it past 10% without freezing.

I'm on cIOS rev10, 4.0U (although i had the issue with 3.4U as well). tried dumping with all versions of usb loader. the harddrive is a 60gb 2.5"(pulled from an old g4 powerbook) in a 2.5" case.

I have successfully dumped a few games to a 2gb flash drive and a mirosd card (thru a reader). i have about a 50/50 success ratio that way.

6. square_one

United States
  7. square_one

United States
  8. square_one

United States
  9. square_one

United States
  10. square_one

United States
    bump.

Posts merged

awesome server gbatemp! [​IMG]

11. JonLeung
    OP

Canada
    Bizarre. Once again I seem unable to dump. It's like it comes and goes.

I tried my previous solution of swapping SD cards...no luck so far. Maybe it wasn't that which fixed it last time after all.

Why would it come and go? It doesn't make sense to me...as far as I can tell things haven't changed since I last dumped...

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I think someone somewhere suggested a program that can clean an SD card cleaner than even a format can. Whatever that was, might that help?

12. frenchderf

Newcomer frenchderf Advanced Member

Belgium
    I have the same problem here they all go about 0,5 GO and stop wich is about the 10 % that Jonleug suggested. It is like a buffer problem...

Well same DSI error too, no matter version of usb loader from 1.1 to 1.5

Wii version 3.4E

I have no trouble with my 3.3a chipped with wiikey 2

Frenchderf

13. JonLeung
    OP

Canada
    After a wasted evening of trying and retrying, this second time I finally fixed it by formatting the hard drive (again). Of course, I backed up everything that was on there before.

It's weird how it's the same error but I fixed it a different way. It's going to be a pain if it continues to happen and it's either the SD card and/or the hard drive that need a swap or format but I can't tell which it is. Unless of course the problem lies somewhere else independent of my two fixes. The Wii itself, perhaps?

Both times it's not like it fails to dump one out of a couple times or a random rate. It's more like it doesn't want to work at all for a certain stretch of time, then suddenly it'll totally work for another stretch of time.

(I constantly wonder if it's because I started all this with 4.0U and did that weird fix to be able to do WAD patching and whatnot even though I'd never done it before upgrading normally to 4.0U...)

Maybe the next version of the USB Loader or cIOS will fix things?

14. djbubba2002

Member djbubba2002 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Haiti
    JonLeung ,
    I have a WD hdd 1tb and everything is working for me , for the last two months .. i am on 3.2, and i have over 350 games , and they all work fine .. ..just let you know ..i hope you get it fix ..

15. hdhacker

Member hdhacker GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't know if this is the program you are referring to, but this is what the DS people use:

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

16. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Are you dumping backups or store-bought games? you should not be dumping backups with the wii, you should be using pc/mac tools to add backups to yer HD

17. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    If you are using the new version it shouldn't be a problem, it was an old bug that had problems if you deleted images then installed more afterwards. That's fixed now.

18. JonLeung
    OP

Canada
    For now, store-bought games.

Funny about that bug you mentioned, olliepop2000. I had a third bout of dumping being difficult yesterday (seems like a near-daily occurence), which I seemingly remedied this time with a third method - by installing more games via the WBFS Manager first, then in the USB Loader I deleted two of them before dumping another one in the same session - so if this was a bug at one point it was the opposite here, as that seemed to fix it! Though I also chose each selection with like a second in between each step instead of impatiently blazing through, maybe that helped a bit, I don't know.

There are only so many ways left that I can fix this almost daily weirdness, if indeed what I do is making a difference. I'm only mentioning them if someone else is having the same dumping problems as me but now I wonder if I'm the only one. Like I said before, it'd be one thing if it was randomly able to dump or not, but it seems like it's a stretch of time of a few hours that I either can or can't dump. So weird.

Oh, and thanks, hdhacker, for the SDFormatter link.

19. Sayargh

Newcomer Sayargh Advanced Member

United States
    Sorry for reviving this thread but i'd rather not make a new one.

My hard drive is _mostly stable_ but i've had several random crashes during the dumping process through the wii, with backups and normal dvds, is the usb dumper on the wii unstable or is it likely that i'll get random crashes running the games too.

20. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    sleep mode seems unlikely during dumping but disable that anway, then u shouldnt have problems during gameplay