ROM Hack Can Nintendo see saves with obvious modifications to it?

Megalegacy98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Specifically talking about Smash Bros. The Smash Bros editor by @RandomUser is able to edit saves but in a crude way as he says:
Keep in mind that the editor allows you to acquire all move sets, headgears, and outfits, in a very crude way. It simply writes "FF" to the location of the save file that enables these things. I do not know if Nintendo can ban based on what is written on the save file or not, so keep that in mind, that it is very noticeable when viewing it in a hex editor.

So could they see it and ban me?

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't speak from experience but unless they have people looking at the hex value of each save, I wouldn't even worry about it. So get them movesets and/or equipment. And it seems that the bans are only temporary and related to using public headers for pirated versions of the games. If you own the game, I highly doubt you have much to worry about.

But as stated above, Nintendo is all knowing and can do what they want.

EDIT: Again, do what you want.

Last edited by MajinCubyan, , Reason: pretty drunk
Reactions: Megalegacy98

Megalegacy98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't speak from experience but unless they have people looking at the hex value of each save, I wouldn't even worry about. So get them movesets and/or equipment. And it seems that the bans are only temporary and related to using public headers for pirated versions of the games. If you own the game, I highly doubt you have much to about.

Yeah I own the game (as in bought it)

Thanks for all the help guys :D

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't speak from experience but unless they have people looking at the hex value of each save, I wouldn't even worry about. So get them movesets and/or equipment. And it seems that the bans are only temporary and related to using public headers for pirated versions of the games. If you own the game, I highly doubt you have much to about.

But, if they make the software mask the saves and check for bad values; it would be super easy to automate.

Reactions: MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But, if they make the software mask the saves and check for bad values; it would be super easy to automate.

This is true. Again, I'm not speaking from experience. You could get banned for using Peach's Down B in For Glory at first and Mewtwo when he was first released online but I wouldn't be too worried if you add an item here or there. So it wouldn't surprise me if they had it automated but I feel we'd see more topics on the forums like, "OMG! BANNED FROM SMB4 FOR SAVEHAX~!" and such.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
This is true. Again, I'm not speaking from experience. You could get banned for using Peach's Down B in For Glory at first and Mewtwo when he was first released online but I wouldn't be too worried if you add an item here or there. So it wouldn't surprise me if they had it automated but I feel we'd see more topics on the forums like, "OMG! BANNED FROM SMB4 FOR SAVEHAX~!" and such.
Yah, I still need to find a flag for the equipment though... Have any save maps I could look at?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: