Can Nintendo do anything to prevent NTAG215 amiibo cards from working?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by SilverClock, Aug 1, 2017.

1. SilverClock
    OP

SilverClock Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2008
    United States
    I was wondering if anyone familiar with the technology behind it knew the answer to this. I find it strange that after all this time I have not noticed any effort on Nintendo's part to deter amiibo cards from being made. The stock of amiibos continues to be scarce, and the popularity of making cards continues to rise.

2. Jay1Gamer

Jay1Gamer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    they can't do anything for ones that are already out, the best they could do is change encryption on the new amiibo, but that would mean that everything that used them would need to be on the latest system version to work

3. SilverClock
    OP

SilverClock Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2008
    United States
    So there's no way for them to require existing amiibos to be patched before being used? That's not possible?

4. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    No. You can't rewrite the data on already existing amiibo.

5. SilverClock
    OP

SilverClock Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2008
    United States
    Ok thank you both for the info! :)

6. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Good thing too. Locking a game's content into an expensive toy with a limited production cycle is a terrible thing for customers. How much will we have to pay to scalpers to play the extra dungeons in FE: Shadows of Valentia in 5 years time?

7. Kleyon

Kleyon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 11, 2017
    France
    For what I heard, there's no way Nintendo can see that NTAG215 aren't real amiibos, no matter if a 540b or a 572b dump is used ! N2Elite users could (theoretically) be detected if they're using 540b dumps, that's why they are now using safer 572b dump that shouldn't be detected.

All of this is still a theory, Nintendo never did anything against amiibos this far, it's just in case one day they'll do it. So for NTAG215 users, the only known risk could be spoofed amiibo (like Fierce Deity Link for example).