Hacking Can Nintendo disable Online services if I use Flash Carts?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's possible (hell, anything's possible with a firmware update), but as of now I don't think there's any reported cases of Nintendo striking back against flashcard users.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
next update nintendo adding wep crack wich we track you put you in jail fbi is here and we filing a law suit for staff and members%D%Ambers

That made no sense whatsoever to me. =S

And well, blocking online would be the smartest thing to do, like what happens with the hacked 360.

philip11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
next update nintendo adding wep crack wich we track you put you in jail fbi is here and we filing a law suit for staff and members%D%Ambers

That made no sense whatsoever to me. =S

And well, blocking online would be the smartest thing to do, like what happens with the hacked 360.

me to.

philip11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Doesn't it depend on what country you're in? If flashcards are illegal or not. And well, you ARE agreeing to their terms of use and services, so read that.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Online services are not obliged to allow anyone to connect, so you would expect that, if they could detect that you're using a flashcart, they will ban you. In fact, doing that would be smarter than playing cat and mouse with the current flash carts - just add some smart detection routines and perma-ban the 3DS from connecting online after giving fair warning.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Let's get things straight. This is how it works in MOST countries...

You're an owner of the physical console, not the online services attached to it. You may use them, but it is your priviledge, not your right. Online Services may be terminated at any time and for any reason unless they are based on an external contract related only to them. Seeing that WFC is free of charge and you don't "sign up for it", yes, Online Services may be terminated for the use of Flashcarts PROVIDED that the 3DS actually registers when you're using them, and that's still shrouded in a cloud of mystery since the DS Mode appears to be easily decieved by simply swapping the header of the Firmware with a header of an original ROM. I'd assume that the 3DS registers it via the header then, not by any hardware means, although I may be wrong. Nobody's sure and nobody will until the 3DS is cracked and fully understood.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, but it requires extra effort on Nintendo's side and would open further weaknesses. Also, I think Nintendo hates homebrew at least as much as piracy. They are control freaks, they want to decide what software runs on their platform and what software does not moreso than they want that software to be acquired legitimately. That strategy of control has served them well in the NES era, reviving the gaming industry by ensuring a basic level of quality through their restrictive measures, but it also seems to be part of their philosophy. This is why they will not reason with those hackers that commit the unimaginably vile deed of trying to run whatever software they want on the hardware they bought, which might actually have helped Wii piracy.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Let's put it this way: Fat D is right, Nintendo are Control Freaks, but... there is sense in their reasoning.

Homebrew ---> Unsigned Code ---> Potential "Open Doors" policy for running backups via some sort of loader/malware that damages the hardware, like in the case of DSBrick

When you give the "Homebrew" programmers a possibility to program for a given console, you basically take off your pants. There will ALWAYS be these few programmers that WILL attempt to load backups "Just Cause" and there will always be an army of ROM Kids that will support this. Nintendo chooses to close all doors rather than meddle with constant updates blocking certain applications.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Gz on your first post! What a great way to let GBAtemp know you're not a troll. Teach me to be smart like you?

As for the disabling online privileges, I don't think they can/will just for using a flashcart. Although, if you cheat in a game while playing online, yes you could get banned (ex: Mario Kart Wii).

Take the Wii for instance, loads of people have a hacked console to play backups and homebrew etc, but yet they can play online on any game without being banned, which in theory, could be like using a flashcart on the 3DS.

tl;dr: 99.9% says no they can't, and won't, disable online just for using a flashcart. If you cheat online, most likely yes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.