Can Nintendo disable Online services if I use Flash Carts?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by philip11, Nov 24, 2011.

1. philip11
    OP

Member philip11 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I am getting a 3DS soon and was wondering because I don't want that to happen.

2. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    It's possible (hell, anything's possible with a firmware update), but as of now I don't think there's any reported cases of Nintendo striking back against flashcard users.

3. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    That made no sense whatsoever to me. =S

And well, blocking online would be the smartest thing to do, like what happens with the hacked 360.

4. philip11
    OP

United States
    me to.

5. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    lolno

only if you cheat in online, which is pretty common among flashcart owners, I guess.

6. philip11
    OP

United States
    So I acn use the AK2i and not get disabled from online services?

7. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    I doubt they're going to disable online just because somebody used a flashcart.

8. philip11
    OP

United States
    Doupt or know I am not taking risks.

9. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    I have been online with my flashcard before and never got banned or anything. Just don't cheat online and you'll be fine.

10. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Doesn't it depend on what country you're in? If flashcards are illegal or not. And well, you ARE agreeing to their terms of use and services, so read that.

11. Bobbyloujo

Member Bobbyloujo I am a millipede, I am amazing.

United States
    I lol'd

Who reads that?

12. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    There's been no reports whatsoever about Nintendo blocking online service because you use a flash cart.

Legally they should be within their rights to do it (after all it's a service), but nobody's ever reported it happening.

13. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    Online services are not obliged to allow anyone to connect, so you would expect that, if they could detect that you're using a flashcart, they will ban you. In fact, doing that would be smarter than playing cat and mouse with the current flash carts - just add some smart detection routines and perma-ban the 3DS from connecting online after giving fair warning.

14. philip11
    OP

United States
    I just won't use flash carts I guess I really don't want to take any risks I wish nintendo would get some sense to block roms and not homebrew.

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    That's not technically feasible.

16. philip11
    OP

United States
    I read quite a few places it's possible.

17. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Let's get things straight. This is how it works in MOST countries...

You're an owner of the physical console, not the online services attached to it. You may use them, but it is your priviledge, not your right. Online Services may be terminated at any time and for any reason unless they are based on an external contract related only to them. Seeing that WFC is free of charge and you don't "sign up for it", yes, Online Services may be terminated for the use of Flashcarts PROVIDED that the 3DS actually registers when you're using them, and that's still shrouded in a cloud of mystery since the DS Mode appears to be easily decieved by simply swapping the header of the Firmware with a header of an original ROM. I'd assume that the 3DS registers it via the header then, not by any hardware means, although I may be wrong. Nobody's sure and nobody will until the 3DS is cracked and fully understood.

18. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Yes, but it requires extra effort on Nintendo's side and would open further weaknesses. Also, I think Nintendo hates homebrew at least as much as piracy. They are control freaks, they want to decide what software runs on their platform and what software does not moreso than they want that software to be acquired legitimately. That strategy of control has served them well in the NES era, reviving the gaming industry by ensuring a basic level of quality through their restrictive measures, but it also seems to be part of their philosophy. This is why they will not reason with those hackers that commit the unimaginably vile deed of trying to run whatever software they want on the hardware they bought, which might actually have helped Wii piracy.

19. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Let's put it this way: Fat D is right, Nintendo are Control Freaks, but... there is sense in their reasoning.

Homebrew ---> Unsigned Code ---> Potential "Open Doors" policy for running backups via some sort of loader/malware that damages the hardware, like in the case of DSBrick

When you give the "Homebrew" programmers a possibility to program for a given console, you basically take off your pants. There will ALWAYS be these few programmers that WILL attempt to load backups "Just Cause" and there will always be an army of ROM Kids that will support this. Nintendo chooses to close all doors rather than meddle with constant updates blocking certain applications.

20. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Gz on your first post! What a great way to let GBAtemp know you're not a troll. Teach me to be smart like you?

As for the disabling online privileges, I don't think they can/will just for using a flashcart. Although, if you cheat in a game while playing online, yes you could get banned (ex: Mario Kart Wii).

Take the Wii for instance, loads of people have a hacked console to play backups and homebrew etc, but yet they can play online on any game without being banned, which in theory, could be like using a flashcart on the 3DS.

tl;dr: 99.9% says no they can't, and won't, disable online just for using a flashcart. If you cheat online, most likely yes.