Hardware Can nintendo ban you for having bad words in your email address?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the email address associated with a Nintendo account? I've heard of people getting banned for their user name if it offends someone and you're reported, but no one can see your email address, right? and, you'd only get in trouble for you're reported, correct? can you even change the email address associated with the account? it doesn't seem to be possible on the system itself, but on a pc?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What you describe sounds logical and you can continue to use [email protected] if you wanted. The only way I imagine your email could get you pinged for good* is if Nintendo do the ban the person thing (see the first Switch bans for the people doing the proper hacking work) and tie accounts that way.

*I can't rule out someone accidentally tripping over a word filter one day. Such things have happened to bigger sites with less of a concern about being "family friendly" in the past.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, I changed my email address. the change is present on nintendo's account management thing on the official site, and it's also present on the eshop. however, my old email address is still showing up under "link Nintendo account." :-/

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my email address didn't have any bad words in it, but it made it sound like I was a devil worshiper. I'm trying to fix this before 6.00. I assume that the link thing will be updated with the new account, 'cause it says to go to accounts.nintendo.com, but changing the email address there doesn't seem to have any effect on that part of the profile. hmm...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my guess is that regardless of what the email address is they won't ban you, since it's not public. I just wish I could figure out why that part of the profile remains unchanged.

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you think thats bad,,,

My nintendo email account is

[email protected]

As long as it does not offend someone.or is not your username that is rude or bad then they cant do anything.

Your entitled to do or call what you want your email name address to be ...

If you need to unlink a switch.. just speak to them on webchat i had mine unlinked.

They wanted to know my name date of birth, console serial number and last 3 purchases or free downloads

then i told them and they informed me my switch was unlinked..

Last edited by Canna,
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured that the linked email address is stored on the console and can't be changed. it must use the cert and whatever the aid is to link you to your account. hence, why the modified email address worked without it being stored on the system. I think the only way to change that linked account is to unlink it, but then I'd lose all purchases, possibly coins, and I'm not sure about saves. it may be more trouble than the headache of migrating to a new account. if it doesn't change by tomorrow, assuming that it may require an update of the link between the system and the server, I'll just revert everything back to the way it was. I haven't gotten in trouble thus far, and considering others can't see the linked email address, I'm probably safe.

Canna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured that the linked email address is stored on the console and can't be changed. it must use the cert and whatever the aid is to link you to your account. hence, why the modified email address worked without it being stored on the system. I think the only way to change that linked account is to unlink it, but then I'd lose all purchases, possibly coins, and I'm not sure about saves. it may be more trouble than the headache of migrating to a new account. if it doesn't change by tomorrow, assuming that it may require an update of the link between the system and the server, I'll just revert everything back to the way it was. I haven't gotten in trouble thus far, and considering others can't see the linked email address, I'm probably safe.
Dude what an earth are you going on about... What is it you are trying to do ?

Unlink your switch from account ?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, I mean changing the email address on the system itself. it's on accounts.Nintendo, and it's on the eshop whenever I connect, but the linked email address that's shown on the system itself cannot be changed.

Canna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, I mean changing the email address on the system itself. it's on accounts.Nintendo, and it's on the eshop whenever I connect, but the linked email address that's shown on the system itself cannot be changed.
legit or hacked switch ? Banned or unbanned ?

Canna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you are trying to change the email address on your account and want the same account you changed email address to work with your user on the switch ?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, the linked email address shows the email address that was used when the account was originally linked. changing the email address on the eshop has no effect, so I'm waiting to see if it updates itself. however, changing the email address was instantaneous from pc to eshop, so I'm not sure.

Canna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, the linked email address shows the email address that was used when the account was originally linked. changing the email address on the eshop has no effect, so I'm waiting to see if it updates itself. however, changing the email address was instantaneous from pc to eshop, so I'm not sure.
Yeah logout eshop and sign back in with new email im guessing you already been in the eshop settings found in user settings

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do you log out of the eshop once signed in and without unlinking the account? there seems to be no option for this on the eshop itself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there