Hacking Can my Wii play backups (or iso's)? A guide for new people

infinete

The Temp's cynic.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Seeing as jinxvorheeze made a thread, based on a decent idea, that was flammed for the way it was written. I decided to make one that would be a bit more, informative.
smile.gif
Note, this will change with time.

So, can my Wii play backups? well the answer to that is a... depends. What bacups do you wish to play? Also, which form of wii do you have Mod wise?

Currently the Wii has 3 forms of Modding.
1. Unmodded. This basically means your Wii is how you got it brought from the store.
2. Softmodded. This means you have used the twilight hack (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=83479 - By Prime) on your Wii.
3. Chipped - This means you, or someone else, has opened up your Wii and placed something inside it. There are many types of chips, many of which have been stickied and discussed on page 1 (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=108).

Now that we know where your Wii stands, we can go back to the question. Can my Wii play backups?

If you have number 3, a chipped Wii. Then yes, your Wii can play nearly ANY backup of any kind. Notice i said nearly. So far the wii, even when chipped, can only emulate; Atari, Chip8, NES, SNES, Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Genesis/Mega drive, GB/GBC/GBA, Turbo Grafix 16, Neo-Geo Pocket, ScummVM, Sgea Saturn and N64 (at half speed unless injected into a VC game, note, this method has serious compatibility issues). It can also play downloaded/coppied Wii games, Downloaded Virtual Console games and downloaded WiiWare games.

Well, for Number 1. An unmodded Wii. The answer is no, except for purchased Virtual Console games and WiiWare from the Wii shop. An unmodded Wii will never (to the best of my knolledge) be able to play backups downloaded from the Internet, at least not yet anyway. maybe one day in the future but not yet.

For the softmodders, number 2, the water gets a bit murky. You can play everything that a chipped Wii can play EXCEPT copied/downloaded Wii games, i.e, the discs that would go into the wii normally, like Mario Kart or SSBB. At the moment at least.

So how long till you can play backups on your Wii without having to chip? Not sure. Yes a DVD reading tool that can play DVD backups was released. but it does not let you play backups of Wii discs, believe me, i have tried. This tool, along with another programme, does let you play DVD movie's and DVD movie backups though. Give it time, in my opinion, one shouldn't take too much longer, but there are many people who are dreading this. So it could take weeks/months. Just be patient.

B

ball2012003

what do you mean
QUOTE said:
i.e, the discs that would go into the wii normally, like Mario Kart or SSBB. At the moment at least.
do you mean that if you downloaded a wii torrent and burned it to a cd it will not play or??

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ball2012003 said:
what do you mean
QUOTE said:
i.e, the discs that would go into the wii normally, like Mario Kart or SSBB. At the moment at least.
do you mean that if you downloaded a wii torrent and burned it to a cd it will not play or??

Firstly, the Wii cannot and will not EVER be able to read a CD. It is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE! The Wii's drive isn't able to read a CD, so even with a mod chip, you still can't read a CD.

Secondly, (at the time of this post) unless you have a modchip installed INSIDE your Wii, you will not be able to play any game that you BURN TO A DISC. Only official GameCube and Wii games will be able to be read and played in the Wii console without a ModChip.

(again, at the time of this post) The only burnt DVD's that the Wii can read are DVD movies, and that involves installing Starfall. Do not ask how to install Starfall here. There is a whole thread dedicated to it. Use the search feature, or just look in Wii Discussion > Wii Hacking.

(at the time of this post) There is NO WAY to read a burnt Wii disc without a ModChip.

If you have any more questions about a way to play burnt Wii games without a mod chip, please, look at my avatar.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
and how many people actually do that fischju? lol

can you please supply a spec sheet on where to solder what wires, and what parts you'd need to build such a device?

oh, yea, and dont forget, you have to connect your Wii to your PC every single time you turn it on, or reset back to the main channel menu... plus, what about people who only have laptops and don't have a serial port?

elenar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's important that we take yet another helpful thread that's actually going to answer a lot of noobs questions, and allow it to disseminate into a meaningless argument about semantics so that the original intent gets lost in us all proving how much smarter we are than each other.

Oh wait, nevermind, I was confused by group-think.

Be nice if this thread could get sticking _and locked_ to keep people from spouting garbage in it, and preserve it's usefulness to noobs.

littlestevie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:
ball2012003 said:
what do you mean
QUOTE said:

The only burnt DVD's that the Wii can read are DVD movies, and that involves installing Starfall.

dont you mean DVDX installer, starfall doesnt mention enabling DVDX libs anywhere

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
and how many people actually do that fischju? lol

can you please supply a spec sheet on where to solder what wires, and what parts you'd need to build such a device?

oh, yea, and dont forget, you have to connect your Wii to your PC every single time you turn it on, or reset back to the main channel menu... plus, what about people who only have laptops and don't have a serial port?

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.ph...4798#post424798

atomiccow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really know if I agree with this thread's definition of a "softmod." I would consider a softmodded console as a console that has the same capabilites as a hardmodded console, except that those capabilities were accessed via software instead of hardware. A Wii console with HBC installed isn't a softmodded Wii, it's just a Wii with HBC on it. No more, no less.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not around enough anymore to care, but I thought I'd chime in:

It has been proven time and time again that the knowledge of those who choose to ask questions prior to seeking answers is directly proportional to their ability to pay notice to information that is so blatantly right in front of them (ie: stickies).

In fact, it's almost like the information isn't applicable until it's being spoon-fed to them.

With that said, you can continue to make threads all you want, but it'll never counter the ignorance.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sorry maybe your intentions were good, but this topic is a bit useless. Please if posting a guide post FACTS, do RESEARCH.

Think it through, make a guide in a notepad or something first. Once your sure your guide can ADD to this community please post it.

Once you have posted it read it over, make it CONCISE (small as possible with all relevant FACTS)
Add headings and break up large amounts of text to make it easier for the reader to understand.

A good guide should have all of these things and more.

We have a wiki now, so really guides can be posted in that so that more experienced people can re-edit others "thoughts" and "ideas" into FACTS and hopefully concise, complete and upto date guides.

I don't mean to sound like a d**kh**d, but TIME is important, I wasted mine reading this topic, and posting this crap. The topic title suggests things concerning .iso loading, yet you have posted about 5% of the info about.

IMHO, your only course of redemption now, is to re-edit your 1st post to include what you missed, tidy it up, then it will be my post looking stupid, sorry but this is constructive criticisms please take them onboard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb