ALX1982

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm thinking of getting an Xbox 360 and I wanna make sure my DVD-burner can burn back-up games.
I have a laptop and the description for my DVD-burner says: "LightScribe 8X DVD+-RW and CD-RW Combo Drive with Double Layer Support".
I know the 360 uses double layer dvd's and I just wanna make sure my burner will work.

Also, I know how to burn back-ups for the Wii, I assume I do it the exact same way for the 360? Except ofcourse using double-layered dvd's.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Double layered means it can burn them, yes. For the 360 it is slightly different. Using imgburn you select the .dvd file and not the .iso file to burn.

ALX1982

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Edhel said:
Double layered means it can burn them, yes. For the 360 it is slightly different. Using imgburn you select the .dvd file and not the .iso file to burn.

I've always used Daemon Tools and mount the image there. Then use Nero to burn a copy.
Can I do it this way, maybe mount the .dvd file then?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure about nero. Most tutorials recommend using imgburn. It's free and a very small download. It also involves just one step, while your method involves two steps.

The .dvd file stores information about the layerbreak. Something I'd guess by mounting the image and then using nero could break.

ALX1982

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Edhel said:
I'm not sure about nero. Most tutorials recommend using imgburn. It's free and a very small download. It also involves just one step, while your method involves two steps.

The .dvd file stores information about the layerbreak. Something I'd guess by mounting the image and then using nero could break.

Thanks for your replies, I guess I'll just download imgburn if I get a 360. The program seems simple enough.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@ZeWarrior that is what the .dvd files that come with the isos should take care of (ABGX360 will make/fix them as necessary too).

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
FAST6191 said:
@ZeWarrior that is what the .dvd files that come with the isos should take care of (ABGX360 will make/fix them as necessary too).

I know, but sometimes noobs burn the iso file directly (or the game doesn't come with one) and he can possibly make a coaster without setting the layer break.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's worth mentioning that it is highly likely that the laptop burner will not be able to use bitsetting/bookmarking, which will lower the chances of a successful burn. These days it's not so important as drives are more tolerant, but it really does help to have the disk set to DVD-ROM instead of DVD+R.

ALX1982

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My laptop is more than three years old, even loading the web browser takes a while when I first start the computer. Burning back-ups for the Wii works well with 2x burn speed. If I use 4x burn speed the wii won't recognize the disc. So I hope it will work with xbox 360, of course using the lowest burn speed.

I'm still torn between the Arcade and Elite choice. I don't plan on playing movies or mp3's on the xbox, so maybe Arcade is enough for me. Unless there are some other advantages with the Elite. I only plan to play 360 games, not sure if I'll use Live since I'm planning on using iExtreme.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Having a hard drive gives you a neat feature to install your games to the xbox hard drive also. Means less noise coming from the constant reading of a dvd.
smile.gif

If your xbox ends up getting banned you can lose that feature.

ALX1982

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Edhel said:
Having a hard drive gives you a neat feature to install your games to the xbox hard drive also. Means less noise coming from the constant reading of a dvd.
smile.gif

If your xbox ends up getting banned you can lose that feature.

Do you happen to know how much space an average installed game uses?

How does an xbox get banned? will Live recognize that a game is a back-up?
If so, I'm guessing I can get retail discs for the games I wanna play online and have no worries?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Anywhere from 5GB to just over 7GB. It depends on the game. It installs it fully to your drive. The xbox only checks to see if your disk is present at the start and then reads everything else from your hard drive.

Recently Microsoft have started a mass ban wave of 360s. It seems like it doesn't matter whether you play backups offline or online. No one is 100% sure how exactly they detect modified 360s yet. A newer mod to flash your dvd drive is meant to surface eventually.

ALX1982

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Edhel said:
Anywhere from 5GB to just over 7GB. It depends on the game. It installs it fully to your drive. The xbox only checks to see if your disk is present at the start and then reads everything else from your hard drive.

Recently Microsoft have started a mass ban wave of 360s. It seems like it doesn't matter whether you play backups offline or online. No one is 100% sure how exactly they detect modified 360s yet. A newer mod to flash your dvd drive is meant to surface eventually.

I guess there will be long load times without an HDD then?
Playing some games on a PS2 is really frustrating because of the long load times. I really don't want that, guess it's better to get an Elite if the Arcade will be like a PS2 in load times.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It helps with some games, not all of them do load much quicker. I personally find the newer games load faster then some games that were released before microsoft made this feature available.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte