Homebrew Can my computer handle DS emulation?

WeirdMisty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pdonkeh.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm not exactly en expert on emulation or computers, and was wondering if someone could tell me, are my specs good enough to handle DS emulation? I'd like to get some DS games on my computer...

I have a a 12GB hard drive, 700MHZ processor, and 260 MB RAM. I'm not sure if there's any other information that's relevant, so yeah...

Sorry if this is a noobish question ^^

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The question is not if your computer can handle DS emulation.... it's more WHEN will there be a decent DS emulator out. Most of them that's out will only run a handful of decent roms.... but seriously, your PC looks quite pitiful....

WeirdMisty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pdonkeh.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh. I don't know much about emulators as i said before... I guess I'll wait for a 'good' emulator to come out?

And if this computer looks pitiful... the one I was using less than a month ago can hardly be called a computer. It had 32MB RAM, Pentium I (100-something MHZ processor?) and 1 2GB hard drive. So I'm not compaining about my computer...

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried GBA emulation yet?

I used to have a computer similar to yours that was barely able to run GBA games at a decent speed.

And if it barely runs GBA, then NDS emulation will be very unlikely.

Suzaku X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Latest version of DeSmuMe has high compatability for 2d games, almost full save support and, near as I can tell, perfect sound. Only problem is that the emulation isn't optimized for speed yet, so it runs damn slow, even on a good computer.

A few months and some optimizations, and you should start seeing some major progress.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wierd Misty, i sincerely hope that you do not get a copy of Windows Vista for that computer, because, simply put, it does not meet minimum requirements. As a matter of fact, it has a hard time with XP (especially RAM wise, get like another 512MB, its relatively inexpensive.

And at the moment, no it cannot handle DS emulation because programmers haven't the handles.
tongue.gif

WeirdMisty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pdonkeh.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Wierd Misty, i sincerely hope that you do not get a copy of Windows Vista for that computer, because, simply put, it does not meet minimum requirements. As a matter of fact, it has a hard time with XP (especially RAM wise, get like another 512MB, its relatively inexpensive.

And at the moment, no it cannot handle DS emulation because programmers haven't the handles.
tongue.gif

I have Windows 200o on this computer. I do not plan to get Vista unless I get a new computer.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of us couldn't bother waiting for "good" emulators. That's why flashcarts are what we're using.

That is not true. You will be surprise for how many people in here use the emulators instead of the flashcarts.
blink.gif
rofl2.gif

And if this computer looks pitiful... the one I was using less than a month ago can hardly be called a computer. It had 32MB RAM, Pentium I (100-something MHZ processor?) and 1 2GB hard drive. So I'm not compaining about my computer...

Just ignored them. Your computer is fine if you want to use gba emulators, nds emulators, snes emulators, nes emulators and some others then you will be alright. If you want psx emulators, ps2 emulators, and something more powerful systems on your computer then you need a decent computer. Therefore, you are fine!!!!
wink.gif
wink2.gif
bow.gif

AMPonzi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I beg to differ... I used to run GBA emulators with few speed problems on a Pentium III 450 back in the day. I even ran most PSX on it with minor slowdowns (though Final Fantasy IX worked near perfect even speedwise). Don't forget, PS1 was only a 33.86MHz system. GBA was only 16.8MHz. From what I've seen... to get decent results you need a computer about 8-10 times the clock speed of the system in question. See the thing is... most emulator project concentrate on features and compatibility first with speed second. So, DS emulators (even though one CPU is 33MHz and the other 66MHz) will run like ass for now. Granted a 2.0GHz CPU will run games at full speed long before a 700MHz CPU will, but the 700MHz CPU will work decently eventually because there are plenty of optimizations to be done. PS1, GBA, SNES, NES, and Genesis are the systems that your PC could easily emulate. Any next-gen machines (PS2, Xbox, GC, NDS) may have some trouble. N64 is probably borderline. I hope this info helps!

And don't be dissing DOS games, I still play stuff like Jazz Jackrabbit and One Must Fall: 2097 on DOSBox. Those games were the shit!

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
My computer specs are similar, 800mhz 386mb RAM.... and i cant play GBA, PSX, SNES, NES, Genesis, etc perfectly, with NDS emulation i suggest you get no$gba as its far more optimized than DeSmuME will ever be as its written in ASM

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope, I've run both 2000 and XP on a 256 comp, and 2000 is way faster. But not as nice. I'm currently running Media Center Edition on my 256. I have no idea why.

glitchbit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XP would probably make your pc faster

..o0 I seriously hope that was a joke as in sarcasm...

Unless you do some nlite to your XP, you better stick wiht 98se if you have lowly specs...

oh yea I have a 400mhz pda that runs most gba games fine, 99% snes games and as far as I know every nes game just fine. 700mhz pc should do fine for all those types of games, even most gba games I would think. Nice video card always helps though, 32mb-64mb would suffice for those games.

When it comes to emulating, the best and most efficient thing to do is HLE and glide wrappers. It worked wonders for n64 and I am sure connectix psx emu was similar. The commands and inputs were translated easily on the fly but part of why it worked well on the n64 was that a number of gfx cards were similar with minor changes needed, so it became almost or close to being native in that sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a