Can move my old ID's New Leaf save file to my new ID's n3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Thomas Campbell, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Thomas Campbell
    OP

Thomas Campbell Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2016
    Norway
    I have a backup of my SD card from March 2015. On that SD card I had data for my Animal Crossing New Leaf game. I've also found the specific folder inside "00040000" where the data is located. My only way of accessing these folders is with my PC as the ID of the folder is no longer linked to a 3DS because I formatted it after the backup.

I formatted my 3DS yesterday because I was setting up CFW which I now have. Meaning the backup I took in March has totally different IDs than what I have now.

Is there any way to get back my old save?

2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Unless you dumped the save with a save manager, it's gone. Sorry.

3. Thomas Campbell
    OP

Thomas Campbell Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2016
    Norway
    I didn't :c Are you 100% sure?

4. zetaPRIME

zetaPRIME Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    United States
    If you have a nand backup with the old ID, you can restore it and use JKSM or SVDT. (just be sure to backup your current one first and restore it after!)

N64 likes this.
  5. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I am. Saves and other data stored on the SD card by the system are encrypted with the NAND's ID that is using it. When you format, your NAND gets a new ID.

6. zetaPRIME

zetaPRIME Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    United States
    Specifically, it's the movable.sed file on NAND that determines both the ID and encryption. If you still have this file somewhere (like a pre-format NAND backup) you can still recover saves made using it.

7. Thomas Campbell
    OP

Thomas Campbell Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2016
    Norway
    AAAH! I do have a NAND from before I formatted it! So if I restore that, and combine it with the SD card backup it will work??

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If I restore the NAND backup to my Sysnand, will that affect my emunand? (My Sysnand and Emunand have different IDs. I don't care about the content on my Sysnand

Last edited by Thomas Campbell, Apr 6, 2016
  8. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 19, 2008
    United States
    Sandy, UT
    Your sysnand and emunand have different IDs so they can't mess with each other.

9. RetroBitMig

RetroBitMig CEO of PixelRocket (returning soon) and Maagic Dev

Oct 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Your SD backup from March 2015 is from your sysNAND, before you had CFW set up, correct? That means, regardless of a format, the ID will still be accessible to your sysNAND (not emuNAND.) From there, you can fiddle around to extract your save with SVDT/Save Manager in homebrew, then re-inject it into your emuNAND.

Unless, of course, this ID folder was from an o3DS, then you need to do what I mentioned on that system to extract the saves.

Last edited by RetroBitMig, Apr 6, 2016