can installing 4.3e on a 'wiikey' wii stop disks from reading?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by newby1976, Feb 12, 2011.

1. newby1976
    OP

Member newby1976 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    All the wii's i have modded have been soft mods ...... I have no experience with modchips

A friend of mine has upgraded her 'wiikey' modded wii to 4.3e by mistake, and ever since, the disk drive had stopped reading disks (even originals)

Can the upgrade be to blame? or is it a consequence that the drive broke at the same time?

If so, how can I fix it for her?

2. urherenow

Member urherenow GBAtemp Addict

United States
    it will if the region is different. for instance... if you ordered a Black Wii from Japan (before they started selling them everywhere) and you don't live in Japan. You'd need a Japanese game with a hack to get your Wii softmodded and use priiloader for region free. (region free is even broken on mod chips on firmware 4.2)

Otherwise... no. There wouldn't be a reason. The drive may have simply failed... or you need to run a cleaner in it.

3. newby1976
    OP

Member newby1976 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    no, its a uk bought wii with 4.3e now installed

4. icecold

Newcomer icecold Advanced Member

Sweden
    1. If you have HBC installed, downgrade to 4.1 with Modmii or use usbloader.

or

2. Remove the Wiikey

5. BBking83

Member BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Yes it can. I had to take my Wiikey out because it wouldn't read some originals and I was only on 4.2.

Softmod is the way to go.

6. inde

Newcomer inde Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I always keep my wii up to date (cant be arsed with the softmod crap other than HBC) and i have an original wiikey (updated to latest firmware), wii reads all retail discs fine.
    and yes they are newer games so its not like new games have a problem with wiikey being in there either, i dont use backups on my wii, i only installed wiikey originally to use sdload etc etc before HBC came about [​IMG]