Can I use USB instead of HDD to play Wii games on Wii U ?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by mcnol012, Mar 2, 2014.

1. mcnol012
    OP

mcnol012 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2013
    United States
    If the answer is Yes then how much size vWii support (32 GB, 16 Gb or smaller) ?

And why we need a SD card when we can use a USB instead ?

2. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013

well im not quite sure what your mean exactly.... re-reading your question.... can i use a USB instead of a HDD.......??? the usb part is what you connect your hdd to the wii/wii u with.

3. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    He probably meant a thumb drive, if that's the case then the answer is yes(it works on a normal Wii so it should work on the vWii too). A 32gb thumb drive should work fine.

mcnol012 and jammybudga777 like this.
  4. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    I had some problems with some thumbdrives but they generally work, especially if you format them to wbfs.

mcnol012 likes this.
  5. Ericzander

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    For my backups, I'm using a 16gb Flash Drive that I got off of Amazon for like 11 dollars. It's big enough to hold 5-7 games (scrubbed of course). So yeah, flash drives work easily. Just be sure to format it using WBFS Manager, which is also how you should put the games on the flash drive.

mcnol012 likes this.
  6. drmarvin

drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Agree. I use a 32gb flash drive. I like that because it has no moving parts to fail. if I leave the Wii/WiiU powered up, it won't wear out the HDD. I think I have about 12-15 games on it. I think if I had a 64gb one, I could put all useful games out there.

mcnol012 likes this.
  7. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    He might mean running VC/WiiWare from USB rather than from the internal storage. Some people confuse internal storage as always meaning it has an HDD.

mcnol012 likes this.
  8. MarcusCarter

MarcusCarter Goodra the Great

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    The Wii U's vWii by default does NOT allow writing to USB Flash Drives, only SD cards. In retrospect, the Wii U in Wii U Mode doesn't allow use of the SD slot to write files to.

mcnol012 likes this.
  9. astronautsaurus

astronautsaurus Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2013
    Canada
    I'm using a 64GB USB stick to play Wii games with USB Loader GX on vWii.