1. waytoodeep03

OP waytoodeep03 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    If I have sxos can i just update to the official firmware or do I need to wait for the latest version of the modified fw 10.xxxx?

Currently I am on 9.1 but want to play the latest version of smash dlc

2. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You can update to latest firmware, just make sure you also update your sxos version to latest as well.

3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    You can update to 10.0.4 if your CFW is up to date. If the NAND is dirty, you can update using ChoiDujourNX.

4. waytoodeep03

Newcomer

United States
    can i update from within sx os loaded or do i need to boot into the official switch dashboard?

Like for example when I boot the switch I get the red sx os screen and it boots to the dashboard where I can play xci files and such. Can I update the FW from the settings menu or do I need to completely go out and load up the offical screen from the red sxos menu when booting?

5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    If you're using a dirty NAND (pirated games, certain homebrew applications, etc.), you should not even be connected to the internet without 90DNS or Incognito installed, which would block system updates from the system settings.

If your NAND is relatively clean, you can update from the system settings, preferably without CFW.

TheCasualties likes this.
  6. Jayinem81

United States
    I don't know I don't use sxos to update. I just find the firmware online (google search) transfer it to my sd card, and use choidujournx to update it. It's pretty simple as long as you choose the right type of sd card (ie if you're on fat32 choose the left one, if you're on exfat choose exfat) I also copy the new boot.dat which is the latest sxos on the root of my sd card, send the payload and done I am on the firmware of my choosing.

7. waytoodeep03

Newcomer

United States
    Yea I found it. Ill stick with the older version 10.0.3

8. TheCasualties

TheCasualties Just trying to be helpful

Netherlands
    Wasn't it suggested to always use the exfat install? either fat32 or exfat formats will work that way. If you choose the fat32 version, it can only read fat32 format. The only way you could mess it up is if you chose fat32 but have an exfat card.

I guess it doesn't really matter if you aren't going to use 2 different kinds, but I thought choosing exfat version was better for compatibility? I used exfat choice even though I only use fat32 cards, for example.

@waytoodeep03, 10.0.3 should be enough, unless you mean to play online with clean sysnand. 10.0.4 only fixed a payment bug which wouldn't matter to you if you aren't using eshop. (But if you are playing online in clean OFW, you should update official way)

Last edited by TheCasualties, Jul 3, 2020
  9. Jayinem81

United States
    Why anyone at least who uses emulators like Retroarch would use Exfat is beyond me. Just asking for corrupting your entire sd card. Fat32 has plenty of install apps from usb so there's no reason not to use it. Even using something like Tinfoil could corrupt your sd card with Exfat any homebrew because it's broken.

10. TheCasualties

Netherlands
    Uhh.. sorry if I was unclear. I don't mean anyone should use an ExFat SD card with CFW. Of course it can cause corruption. I'm saying that when installing Firmware via ChoiNX, you can still pick the ExFat version regardless of your card's format. It's the same as the Fat32 option, but also includes the exfat driver.

I'm asking if there is any reason to choose the fat32 firmware option over the ExFat firmware version. Since Fat32 cards will work with either option. I chose exFat just incase I want to use my old "clean" exfat SD card.

Edit: nevermind, you don't understand. That's ok. I've updated using the exfat option every time and it works perfect with Fat32 and exfat cards. The Fat32 option just limits you to only fat32 cards.

11. Jayinem81

United States
    I have used Fat32 for about 2 years, I never choose the exfat option I choose the first option, and it works perfectly. I've updated this way probably at least 5 or 6 times if not more. I don't know what you're talking about. There's zero reason i would choose the Exfat option having Fat32.

If you mean people that don't know what format they have it's not that difficult you put it in your pc right click on it and choose properties and it will tell you. If someone can't figure that out maybe they shouldn't be modding their switch in the first place.

Last edited by Jayinem81, Jul 3, 2020
  12. TheCasualties

Netherlands
    No, just talking about having the option to use both formats. Back before I hacked my switch I used exFat card. Got a new card for CFW and it's fat32.

If I want to be able to use both cards, I have to chose the exfat firmware. From all my reading about Choi and the many threads about it, there seems to be no benefit to choosing the fat32 version. Exfat firmware works with both, Fat32 firmware only works with Fat32. That's all i'm saying.

PS: sorry OP for derailing this thread. It was not my intention.

13. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

United States
    In my opinion choi should always update with exfat option. Just kill the fat32 only option. It will still work with fat32 just fine. It would cut down on new posts about sd problems.

TheCasualties likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - official,