Hacking can i use sysupdater to upgrade my version?

missinsummer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have a n3ds 9.1-JAP

accroding to https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax/issues/73

i have high chance of fail at menuhax.

however, my other n3ds 9.2-EUR doesnt have this problem at all. ( at most fail 1 out of 10 )

so, i think i should upgrade my 9.1 to 9.2.

i do have GW, but i hate 414 method, i just cant live without menuhax -->gw now..

from my understanding, what sysupdater does is completely remove my sysnand first, then install whatever cia i tells it to. so base from that, i can "change" my sysnand to whatever version i want to as long as i have the correct cia.

i did managed to downgrade both my n3ds from 10.3 to 9.1/9.2 by using sysupdater one week ago.( i only found 9.1 version for my JAP-N3ds at that time.....)

PS: if i manage to update my 9.1 to 9.2...will i need to create a new emunand? (coz right now, i have many game installed on emunand and many saves)

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
i have a n3ds 9.1-JAP

accroding to https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax/issues/73

i have high chance of fail at menuhax.

however, my other n3ds 9.2-EUR doesnt have this problem at all. ( at most fail 1 out of 10 )

so, i think i should upgrade my 9.1 to 9.2.

i do have GW, but i hate 414 method, i just cant live without menuhax -->gw now..

from my understanding, what sysupdater does is completely remove my sysnand first, then install whatever cia i tells it to. so base from that, i can "change" my sysnand to whatever version i want to as long as i have the correct cia.

i did managed to downgrade both my n3ds from 10.3 to 9.1/9.2 by using sysupdater one week ago.( i only found 9.1 version for my JAP-N3ds at that time.....)

PS: if i manage to update my 9.1 to 9.2...will i need to create a new emunand? (coz right now, i have many game installed on emunand and many saves)
You can give menuhax a try and see how stable the boot is. If it hardly boots at all you can update the same emuNAND to 9.2 using sysupdater, but for that you need to use 9.2 update pack for your region. The procedure is same except that you need to install sysupdater CIA in emuNAND and run it from emuNAND, and you don't need to format emuNAND at all.

Last edited by Just3DS,

missinsummer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
quick question : can i just swap TF card inside 2 n3ds for the purpose of exchange emunand? lets say both n3ds are exactly same, but only being 2 machine in reality.(same version, same region, same emuNAND, but different hardware ofc)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can give menuhax a try and see how stable the boot is. If it hardly boots at all you can update the same emuNAND to 9.2 using sysupdater, but for that you need to use 9.2 update pack for your region. The procedure is same except that you need to install sysupdater CIA in emuNAND and run it from emuNAND, and you don't need to format emuNAND at all.
thanks for reply.

"install sysupdater CIA in emuNAND and run it from emuNAND" what do you mean by this, wonldnt that change my emuNAND installed of sysNAND?

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
quick question : can i just swap TF card inside 2 n3ds for the purpose of exchange emunand? lets say both n3ds are exactly same, but only being 2 machine in reality.(same version, same region, same emuNAND, but different hardware ofc)

thanks for reply.

"install sysupdater CIA in emuNAND and run it from emuNAND" what do you mean by this, wonldnt that change my emuNAND installed of sysNAND?
Oops sorry! I forgot you wanted to update sysNAND. Yea you need to do the same procedure as ths downgrade one but still confirm the process by other members. Other known way is booting Pasta CFW on sysNAND and run sysupdater. Avoid updating using GW mode.

missinsummer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wait a minute, since all i am doing is updating, i just need to install Dev to sysnand and run 9.2-J.cia from there!!

just like how i did a emuNAND update from 9.2emu to 9.5 emu(my n3ds has 9.5 emu)

am i right? Dev is far better than sysupdater in this case, isnt it? (well, i know the risk still there, but sysupdater feels so buggy)

i never use GW mode onto my SYSNAND. i never use SYSNAND unless i want to create a way of getting into my emuNAND xD

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
wait a minute, since all i am doing is updating, i just need to install Dev to sysnand and run 9.2-J.cia from there!!

just like how i did a emuNAND update from 9.2emu to 9.5 emu(my n3ds has 9.5 emu)

am i right? Dev is far better than sysupdater in this case, isnt it? (well, i know the risk still there, but sysupdater feels so buggy)

i never use GW mode onto my SYSNAND. i never use SYSNAND unless i want to create a way of getting into my emuNAND xD
No the only way to update full firmware is by sysupdater. Never use any kind of CIA installer, as that will end up bricking/semi-bricking or frankenstien firmware. sysupdater performs the update procedure similar to Nintendo system update (it calls some services to perform FIRM updates). That is why never use any GW mode as it patches/blocks those kind of service calls, hence bricking the system if updated. Only known safe way to update is by using Pasta (or miniPasta) on sysNAND OR RXTools (Dev mode) on sysNAND, and sysupdater.

As updating sysNAND is risky procedure if not performed properly, I highly suggest that you make NAND backup to your PC before performing any update.

And wait for other members reply on this, as there are many other new ways of doing this and they keep changing, so I could be wrong.

PS. sysupdater to upgrade (before the downgrade appeared) is stable and safe as far as I know. It doesn't have as much issues as downgrading is usally unstable and need to do several times to downgrade successfully.

Last edited by Just3DS,

missinsummer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
all i am thinking planning to do is " run hbl use pasta to get into REAL sysNAND, then just run Dev from there", is this the GW mode you talking about?

missinsummer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok, fk it.

i updated to 10.3 and use 9.2-J-N3ds file to downgrade.

but i ended up with 9.1 lol (btw i failed at sysupdater just once, lol. never thought it would go that well)

sooooo.....what?......so way to get a 9.2-J?

however after i installed menuhax2.1 for sysnand from scratch. seems like i have much higher boot rate, so far no fail ( like 5 times)

Last edited by missinsummer,

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
My menuhax boots every time on my JPN 9.1 n3ds and I think I had one boot fail out of possible 100 this week since I downgraded from 10.3. I also have it auto boot (no button presses) if that makes any difference.

The reason it shows 9.1 is because of a issue with version title ID (Japanese only) or something, yet it's 9.2 that is installed.

Reactions: Emenaria

missinsummer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My menuhax boots every time on my JPN 9.1 n3ds and I think I had one boot fail out of possible 100 this week since I downgraded from 10.3. I also have it auto boot (no button presses) if that makes any difference.

The reason it shows 9.1 is because of a issue with version title ID (Japanese only) or something, yet it's 9.2 that is installed.
how do you know which version actually get installed without looking at system setting ?

i still have no idea why my 9.1-J was acting like that.

right now back up a new NAND.bin and back it up xD

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
how do you know which version actually get installed without looking at system setting ?

i still have no idea why my 9.1-J was acting like that.

right now back up a new NAND.bin and back it up xD

The 0000400102002CA00 that JPN users have to delete before downgrading has something to do with the version number from what I have seen. It was the same with the SOAP private server method for 8.1 to 9.2 before the downgrader was released some time ago. Using that showed 9.1 in the settings after using 9.2 cia files.

If you use the downgrade check it will show 9.2 Native_Firm 2.46-0. Rename the folder to downgrade-check btw.

Attachments

• downgrade-check1.0.zip
    232.1 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: Emenaria

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You need a Tylenol pm