Hacking Can I use one usb hard drive for Wii and wup installed WiiU games?

WiiU_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to get a harddrive around black friday, and was trying to decide what size I'd need. I was wondering if I could use a single hardrive to store my WiiU and Wii games or if I'd need different ways to launch the games?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only way I know of is with mocha, but there's a catch, games have to be installed normally to a wii u formatted drive, then copied and pasted to a fat32 drive. and, I think the wii u will format the entire drive no matter what, so you technically need two drives anyway. I don't recommend it.

Reactions: WiiU_

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Afaik, you can use it only for WiiU games because the WiiU will format it before being able to use it and will not be recognizable on a PC afterwards, unless you remove the formatting scheme and partitions created by your WiiU.

So, to make it clear, you need two hard drives, one for your WiiU games (formatted by your WiiU) and one for Wii/NGC/other (formatted as FAT32 using a PC).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you may also have to compile it yourself (not sure). I compiled it a while back, and I do remember it was able to see through ustealth as well.

D

Deleted User

Afaik, you can use it only for WiiU games because the WiiU will format it before being able to use it and will not be recognizable on a PC afterwards, unless you remove the formatting scheme and partitions created by your WiiU.

So, to make it clear, you need two hard drives, one for your WiiU games (formatted by your WiiU) and one for Wii/NGC/other (formatted as FAT32 using a PC).

No there's been injecting Wii games into the Wii U hard drive since 2017. You can have Wii U/Wii/GC/DS/N64+ more on one hard drive due to injections. This is for Wii/GC only

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm looking to get a harddrive around black friday, and was trying to decide what size I'd need. I was wondering if I could use a single hardrive to store my WiiU and Wii games or if I'd need different ways to launch the games?

Yep by injecting with the link I provided. They will all be on the Wii U hard drive and some Wii games you can even add Gamepad support.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm...I had forgotten about that. do note: you have a limit of 300 titles on the home menu. well, technically 292 I believe, because the system counts default tiles. there's ways around it, because the file that determines that is called the barista (going with that coffee theme like everything else on the system). you can make multiple profiles, each with their own barista, to have hundreds more titles.

Mamothstard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hmm...I had forgotten about that. do note: you have a limit of 300 titles on the home menu. well, technically 292 I believe, because the system counts default tiles. there's ways around it, because the file that determines that is called the barista (going with that coffee theme like everything else on the system). you can make multiple profiles, each with their own barista, to have hundreds more titles.
Yep, it's possible. Not ideal but doable.

But I have yet to see anyone use all their 300 titles of GC, Wii U and Wii. You'd have to fill at least 1TB (unless you're using only GC games but that would be cheating :P )

Reactions: WiiU_ and godreborn
D

Deleted User

Yep, it's possible. Not ideal but doable.

But I have yet to see anyone use all their 300 titles of GC, Wii U and Wii. You'd have to fill at least 1TB (unless you're using only GC games but that would be cheating :P )

It's technically like 292 because there's 8 icons I think that are forced by the console that you can't delete, and I have done it and had it that way for several years now and I've seen lots of people make threads asking if they can have like every Wii U/Wii/GC game although it's very difficult to do or not practicle. It only took me 750 GB, but it's because I only have around 25-30 Wii U games and Wii is smaller, GC is smaller than that, N64 and DS are tiny. I still have over 100 GB left.

Last edited by ,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 260 something of just wii u. most are pure shit too. I use a nintendont forwarder and my sd card for cube, then the vwii with wii stuff, but I did make an inject of new super mario bros wii and dkc returns (my two favorite games on the system).

Mamothstard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's technically like 292 because there's 8 icons I think that are forced by the console that you can't delete, and I have done it and had it that way for several years now and I've seen lots of people make threads asking if they can have like every Wii U/Wii/GC game although it's very difficult to do or not practicle. It only took me 750 GB, but it's because I only have around 25-30 Wii U games and Wii is smaller, GC is smaller than that, N64 and DS are tiny. I still have over 100 GB left.

Oh I may need your help on DS and N64 injection then. The whole "base game" emulator thing is a bit cryptic to me. But yeah, if you inject those I can see how you'd hit the cap pretty fast.

It also must take some time to prepare the injects. I need to look for a way to batch those things.

Last edited by Mamothstard,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never injected anything but a wii game. one of them has the normal wii sound (think it's dkc returns); then, the other, new super mario bros wii, has the banner sound. I don't know if I can help with n64 or ds. I have been fiddling around with the ds (got saves from my ds flash cart to work), and I also have them full screen thanks to another member on here. every ds game I have is that way. I actually bought 75 games on the wii u (digitally), so I haven't had to really do much in terms of injecting games or even installing them.

Mamothstard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh sorry @godreborn, I was talking to @ForgotWhoIam
You posted just after him ^^

Yeah I've only been adding wii, wii u games (backup from my discs) and GC (playing Baten Kaitos Undub right now weeeeee).
But I REEEEEEALLY want to do a full run of Chrono Trigger on my Wii U.

But the whole DS injection thing has me quite puzzled.
apparently you're supposed to use an original Eshop DS game you bought and inject into it. But it depends on what game you use and I've read conflicting things about not being able to play that game anymore afterwards. It's a bit confusing for me :)

WiiU_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ForgotWhoIam Thanks! So I'd be able to format a new drive to the WiiU normally, then use the injector for vWii games? I have mocha iirc, but it's been 2017 since I updated anything. And if I wanted Gc games too, I could have Nintendon't on an sd card?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can have gc on an sd card, yes. I just have one tile filled up with a nintendont forwarder, then play the game from a list. you might want to go with haxchi. however, you have to buy a ds game for that work.

WiiU_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, just to clarify. With the injector, does that mean the Wii and Gc games would be stored on the formated WiiU harddrive? And I can't store nintendon't on it (that's what I'd need an sd card for?).

@godreborn How come you suggest haxchi? Do I need to launch Mocha to play injected Wii games?

Mamothstard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh, just to clarify. With the injector, does that mean the Wii and Gc games would be stored on the formated WiiU harddrive? And I can't store nintendon't on it (that's what I'd need an sd card for?).

@godreborn How come you suggest haxchi? Do I need to launch Mocha to play injected Wii games?

The wii u Nintendont forwarder is a channel that will redirect you to vWii mode. Nintendont config is read (I believe) from your SD card, so is the app itself. The Gamecube isos are stocked on your SD card. Nothing is actually on the HDD drive except the forwarder itself.

While on the other hand. Individual GC injections, and wii games are stored on the HDD and not on SD card.

no, either should work. I mostly suggest cbhc (as long as no one else uses your system). you'll boot into cfw at boot.
I'd specifically advise against using CBHC. Lauching haxchi on startup manually takes about 10 seconds. It's not worth the potential brick risk factor introduced with an app that can boot loop and brick your system if you somehow mess with it.

But hey, it's your funeral

Last edited by Mamothstard,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, you should know the risks, which is why I recommend it only for people who play on the system alone. there's too much risk for someone else to screw something up. there's really only two ways to mess up: that's formatting the system or deleting the nnid. I've been using cbhc for about three-four years now, but I don't let anyone else play my system. I've even messed with the flash in the process, but I don't touch anything in the cbhc ds' game's folder. I don't think anything would happen, but the game must be bootable, so I'd advise against it. I originally had yoshi's island through wup server, but then I changed it to brain age via the normal method. my yoshi's island is now full screen. :D

WiiU_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@godreborn I won't need cfw to run wup WiiU or injected Wii games though I think? So I wasn't sure I'd need it.

@Mamothstard Ah, so if I wanted to play Gc games I'd need a big enough Sd card to store the isos, but for wii games I'm fine with just the harddrive.

I agree for cbhc. I travel with my WiiU for smash and Mario Party a fair bit, I wouldn't want anything happening in some strange turn of events while I'm not watching, or it's the year 2050 and I forget about it myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0