can i use one of my retail carts online header for all my backups?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by xdarkmario, Feb 8, 2015.

1. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    ok so i have my cart rips on my gateway and my retail carts, some with online capabilities. my question is can i use one of my personal headers on all my ripped backups? is that safe?

2. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Safer then using any public headers :)

3. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Always where a condom, how many times does that message have to be told to instill the damn thing in your heads...

4. Fusionz

Fusionz Member

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2014
    NSW
    Ok total noob question here, how do i obtain the headers from a .3ds dump i too have my own and i'd like to do this :D

5. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    yea i hear nindendo is flexing there banhammer a bit so yea had no intention of using public ones.

i hear as long as you dont go online with the same headers i should be good. and seeing how their my private headers i dont see how thats possible.

6. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Gateway Rom Patcher

7. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    guess you can use the same header for each game backup

8. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    ok i did it, just had to restart the games, (good thing i didnt get too far in those games...)

9. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    Theoretically, it's possible to get banned when using private headers as well, it depends on how their detection works. If they store and link each header that appears online with its respective game, they can detect a header used on more than one game, even if it's just you using your own ones.

We don't really know how it works, though I think that so far only people using public headers got banned. I think .cias are the safest option right now, no?

10. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    So far it doesn't look like that happens in the rom it's self. I tried 3 headers on the same rom and all that changes is the Cart ID, which is basically like a CD key. If anything thus far it seems like headers are generated for 3DS games the same way regardless of the game being injected into.

11. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    Doesn't have to happen in the cart, imagine nintendo grabbing the information as you go online with the current header data+which game it says you're playing at the moment, in real time. And then they store this information on a database. Whenever a double entry appears in there (same ID, different game you've been seen online with), that means it's a modified ROM.

So you have a "CD key" being used to activate 2 (or more) different games, for online play. Nintendo may not be able to tell which individual ID belongs to which game specifically, but they may be able to tell that the same one has showed up more than once, and that's enough for them to determine you're using a flashcard. I guess that if you use your private headers only once for each title (1 legit header = 1 rom), you should be safe from this.

Does this make any sense?

MattKimura likes this.
  12. ThePeach

ThePeach Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2015
    France
    Does the size of the ripped game matter or will every game work?

13. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    the program will automatically adjust the file size from the header

14. ThePeach

ThePeach Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2015
    France
    Even if I have a Sky3DS and just edit the online ID in the header?

15. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
  16. y2jdmbfan

y2jdmbfan Member

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2009
    United States
    I'm a bit confused...If I dump all my retail carts with Gateway can I:

1. Where is the header located that is causing people to get banned?

2. Use my RETAIL DUMPS loaded on an SD card in Emunand in Gateway mode online and not risk getting banned?

3. Use RETAIL DUMPS loaded on an SD card in a Sky3DS and go online and not get banned?

4. I have retail Smash Bros. in PAL and US, how can I update to 1.05 safely on my Australian / PAL New 3DS which hasn't been connected to the Internet yet? Load it into my USA 3DSXL and update? I guess I don't know where exactly the update files are stored.

Forgive the newbie-esque questions.

17. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Smash Data dir.PNG 1. i believe the header is where the name suggests it is. near the first bytes of the .3ds backup as for it banning people, using a public header instead of your own can get you banned because, Lets say you downloaded a header and went online, and the rest lets say 400 people go online at the same time with that same header ID nintendo will get suspicious because each cartage has its own unique ID and nintendo can see that the rest besides 1 are a copy and can ban the card ID and "Maybe" the system.

2.Extracting YOUR Headers from your own retail dumps with Gateway ROM Patcher v0.6 is the way safer then public ones and from what i know the risk of getting banned is very small. (My small advice, take the header from a online capable game that you dont much care for just incase)

3. In theory it should be the same as gateway, should be fine as long as your header partition is present on the backup( im not sure sky3ds users need to do the rename to .3DZ or not)

4.the updates are stored on your 3ds SD card. and each 3ds has its own folder that it uses for storage. if you try and put the N3ds SD (with a adapter) into your 3ds XL it will make a new folder and the game update will go there. when you put it back in your N3ds it will not look in that folder ans may act as if nothing happened

smash bros update data US ver (for me) is in

E:\Nintendo 3DS\df5d177959d84517080d39f3c4f8e2b1\91e800a54780209e5344303400035344\title\0004000e\000edf00\content

(See photo)
    https://gbatemp.net/attachments/smash-data-dir-png.15570/
    [​IMG]

it will be a similar your info before the title will be different. you can try copying the 0004000e folder (if its called that for you) the the directory in your 3ds SD
    [​IMG]

18. y2jdmbfan

y2jdmbfan Member

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for the info!

When I dump the retail cart with Gateway, it doesn't use the retail cart header?

19. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom

yea it does, when you dump a cartridge it fully dumps it, header and all. when people upload roms they remove this info so that it does not get them banned.

20. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    one more question, i was wondering if the when you dump the header to go online does it have to be a online capable game or will any header work?