Hacking Can I use my Wii to copy files from a DVD/CD to a USB drive?

MartFN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi, I have some old DVDs and CDs that I'm pretty sure have something in there, after putting them on my PS3 it didn't find any videos, music or photos.
So, since the Wii is a far easier console to mod, I'd like to know if I could use any homebrew app to find any files inside the disc(s) and maybe even copy those files to a USB drive.

WiiXplorer has a DVD feature, but it doesn't seem to do anything, after reading some forum posts about this, it seems I need to change something in the IOS to fix the problem (I have used cIOS in the past, meybe that's the problem.)

MartFN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If any tool can do it, it would be wiixplorer. Post a Syscheck here and we'll see how up to date your cios's are. Also make sure you're running the latest version of wiixplorer

SysCheck Report:
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: PAL
System Menu 4.3E (v514)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 12.18.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Console ID: 143029857
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: Portugal (98)
Boot2 v4
Found 82 titles.
Found 48 IOS on this console. 15 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): No Patches
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 03/20/2021.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Technically I'm still "gone" at the moment but this topic is too interesting and tempting.

My answer to this question: Mostly no.
CDs → No.
Wii drives are strictly DVD¹-only. They won't detect CD-ROM, CD-R or CD-RW. I tried a lot in this direction.
DVDs → Maybe. On old Wii models (before D3-2 drive or what this is called) software methods can convince the drive in reading standard DVDs (DVD-ROM or DVD-R or DVD+R with book type set to DVD-ROM). This is/was mostly used to boot burned Wii or GC games. If your Wii can't boot game backups, it won't read random data discs as the drive firmware rejects anything but genuine games.

Proof of concept: @XFlak is right: I just copied a 1MB file from a pressed data DVD to USB with WiiXplorer.
That said, the Wii drives are not exactly good at reading random burned media. It depends on media quality, +R or -R, and your actual Wii drive. My Wii will detect some, some not or even crash at times. I never got it to read RW media.

I really recommend getting an external DVD-drive instead of (ab)using the Wii. They are very cheap and guaranteed to work with intact media.

The PlayStation 2 with FreeMcBoot or FreeDVDBoot should allow using a file manager for this task (limited to USB 1 speed). PlayStation drives can officially read burned CDs and DVDs in the form of audio or video discs. They should not have a problem with data discs. Maybe even the existing official Linux can be used for this.

Good luck and have fun!

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.
Very nice to see you.:)

Technically I'm still "gone" at the moment but this topic is too interesting and tempting.

CDs → No.
Wii drives are strictly DVD¹-only. They won't detect CD-ROM, CD-R or CD-RW. I tried a lot in this direction.
DVDs → Maybe. On old Wii models (before D3-2 drive or what this is called) software methods can convince the drive in reading standard DVDs (DVD-ROM or DVD-R or DVD+R with book type set to DVD-ROM). This is/was mostly used to boot burned Wii or GC games. If your Wii can't boot game backups, it won't read random data discs as the drive firmware rejects anything but genuine games.

Proof of concept: @XFlak is right: I just copied a 1MB file from a pressed data DVD to USB with WiiXplorer.
That said, the Wii drives are not exactly good at reading random burned media. It depends on media quality, +R or -R, and your actual Wii drive. My Wii will detect some, some not or even crash at times. I never got it to read RW media.

I really recommend getting an external DVD-drive instead of (ab)using the Wii. They are very cheap and guaranteed to work with intact media.

The PlayStation 2 with FreeMcBoot or FreeDVDBoot should allow using a file manager for this task (limited to USB 1 speed). PlayStation drives can officially read burned CDs and DVDs in the form of audio or video discs. They should not have a problem with data discs. Maybe even the existing official Linux can be used for this.

Good luck and have fun!

bravo.gif clap.gif daumen.gif

Thank you for "coming in" and made the Test.We really appreciate this.daumen.gif

Honestly,I was not sure,this works,I never trusted and tried Data copy with the Wii Drive.
My Workplace is actual maybe like your "Condition"....so I am not really able to made the Test.

Thank you for the Proof,Sinchen.:)

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus

CDs → No.

Good luck and have fun!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: @HoTuan You'll need one that hasn't had its stock firmware updated in quite some time, for starters