Can I use my old phone's quick charge adapter with my new one?

Discussion in 'Android' started by smileyhead, Sep 9, 2018.

1. smileyhead
    OP

smileyhead Most pettable head

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    I have a new phone, a Nokia 7 Plus. Can I use my old phone's (Huawei P9) quick charge adapter with it?

Here's the text on both:

IMG_20180909_180849.jpg

Last edited by smileyhead, Sep 9, 2018
  2. Sono

Sono 3DS MCU idiot

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    I'll give you a short and to-the-point answer: use the charger + cable the manufacturer gives you; sane manufacturers choose the right type of charger + cable (where applicable) which fits to your phone.

If you have nothing else to use, you could use the fast charger, but if your phone is not compatible with it then it'll function as a regular five volt USB charger.

3. smileyhead
    OP

smileyhead Most pettable head

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    I can't hurt my phone with it then, right?
    I want to keep using the old adaptor not as a primary charger but as a secondary one so I can charge it next to my desk as well.

4. Sono

Sono 3DS MCU idiot

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    It *should* not hurt, but long-term it *can* hurt. If it's not some cheapo and/or badly engineered cheap shitty pink USB charger from China then you should be fine.

smileyhead and DinohScene like this.
  5. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Won't hurt your phone no.

6. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Ambiguus

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    They's all USB powered adapters with the same voltage. It shouldn't be a problem.

7. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    As every phone has a different energy consumption/intake and all, it's recommended for you rather not to use it. It's not gonna short anything necessarily (could happen, in rare cases), but could potentially damage battery over time, make it's capacity smaller, and other compromises. It's better just to buy the official one for your phone, to gurantee it's supplying the phone in the correct way.

Last edited by Vieela, Sep 9, 2018
    Sono likes this.
  8. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    You can use your old phones quick charger but it will charge at 2 amps where the Nokia charger will charge quite a bit quicker at 3 amps.

This is horribly incorrect. Each charger has to be based on the usb standard. It has nothing to do with the energy consumption of the device. I wouldnt reccomend charging your device with a horribly made nockoff junk. You shouldn't have any charging issues if your using a recognised brand like Samsung, Apple, Huawei and the like. Really just dont trust the $1 chargers online as they may not have abided the standards during manufacturing.

Last edited by Luckkill4u, Sep 9, 2018
    Vieela likes this.