Hacking Question Can I use hekate and no piracy safely (no ban)?

quantumboy

Casual Hacker, Avid Dreamer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a system on 3.0.0 and its got my nnid attached to it and my main saves/games/etc, I wanna save the ability to downgrade if I update. I was planning to set up hekate and update to 5.1.0 with ChoiDujourNX. I understand that it will set up hekate to prevent fuses from being burned, as well as prevent the cart slot firmware from being updated.

1. Once on 5.1.0 on hekate with auto rcm etc, can I still use online safely?

2. also, do I have to use cfw (atmosphere files) with hekate to stop fuses from being burned?

3. does having cfw (w/homebrew) make me more likely to be banned online (even if I don't pirate at all)

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Really no one knows, but maybe if you only play you legit games, maybe Nintendo won't notice you, but since you are logging to online using cfw, i am not really sure if it safe, if it ofw maybe.

Note: this applies to all your 3 points.

Last edited by aos10,

quantumboy

Casual Hacker, Avid Dreamer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really no one knows, but maybe if you only play you legit games, maybe Nintendo won't notice you, but since you are logging to online using cfw, i am not really sure if it safe, if it ofw maybe.

Note: this applies to all your 3 points.
Can I use ofw, and still preserve fuses?

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
I think using CFW is relatively safe if you don't get any homebrew crash sent to Nintendo.
My understanding is that you'll only use Hekate to boot into your system as you don't want to burn fuses?
If that's the case you "might" be safe.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are really getting confused with OFW and CFW (especially with Hekate). Its not OFW or CFW that burns fuses, its the bootloader specifically the Nintendo Switch bootloader aka nx-bootloader. If you don't want to burn fuses, you use a bootloader that doesn't burn fuses (and bypasses the fuse check). Hekate automatically does this regardless if you choose OFW or CFW. SX OS V 1.0 and V1.1 did not. SX OS V1.1 prevented fuses from being burnt, but it did not bypass the fuse check so it was useless as a substitute bootloader for people who updated without burning fuses.

tl;dr All non-Switch bootloaders won't burn fuses regardless if you pick OFW or CFW in their respective menus

Reactions: aos10

salmon01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, as far as I know nobody has gotten banned yet for using AutoRCM only, and CTCaer has said that the current firmware cannot detect it (see pinned Hekate thread, page 36). Also, bans from using homebrew have only come from people who have gotten homebrew crash reports in their logs; if you use the latest RajNX, Nintendo will not be able to collect any error or crash reports.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Thanks for clarifying that.
I guess @quantumboy is safe to make the jump to fw 5 now.

People are really getting confused with OFW and CFW (especially with Hekate). Its not OFW or CFW that burns fuses, its the bootloader specifically the Nintendo Switch bootloader aka nx-bootloader. If you don't want to burn fuses, you use a bootloader that doesn't burn fuses (and bypasses the fuse check). Hekate automatically does this regardless if you choose OFW or CFW. SX OS V 1.0 and V1.1 did not. SX OS V1.1 prevented fuses from being burnt, but it did not bypass the fuse check so it was useless as a substitute bootloader for people who updated without burning fuses.

tl;dr All non-Switch bootloaders won't burn fuses regardless if you pick OFW or CFW in their respective menus

Last edited by Zumoly,
Reactions: quantumboy

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the last god damn fucking time. SO TIRED OF THESE THREADS BEING MADE.

If you don't want to get banned, don't run any hack stuff on your Switch. Online or offline. Keep your system completely free of hack stuff.

That is the only way to be sure you will not get a ban.
unless there is satellite technology i am unaware of inside of each switch, playing offline is 100% ban proof.

Reactions: CptPotato

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a second switch. It's that fucking simple
Depends. You will find people who want to backup their save files without paying Nintendo for their cloud saves.

Besides not everyone has the money to simply buy another Switch.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
unless there is satellite technology i am unaware of inside of each switch, playing offline is 100% ban proof.

Then that's like being banned because you're forced to remain offline forever.

The moment he goes online, he will be flagged no matter what he does to prevent it. If he erase the logs, he will be more suspicious.

You have 2 choices with a Switch. Either use it completely legit and play online or install homebrew and kiss online goodbye.

The moment you install any homebrew, no matter how insignificant it is, your console is forever tainted.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crosspost from another thread, but it's related to this:

From my own experience:

• Switch is always in Hekate CFW mode and recently in LFS mode with Creport to prevent crash reports (caused by LFS) being sent to Ninty.
  • Never installed NSPs or used Devmenu.
  • Never pirated games.
  • Don't use Airplane mode, and I just leave it online for convenience.
  • Have "send additional information" unchecked for minimal Telemetry + use SDFiles V7 with the Telemetry block to catch the rest.
Occasionally play Splatoon 2 online (only non-F2P online game I've got) and no sign of a ban (yet!).

You don't necessarily need to put your Switch into self-Exile (i.e Airplane mode all the time) if you're careful with what you do and don't do anything obvious (like installing NSPs which carry something like a 98% ban rate). Sure it's safer, but unless you're going to install NSPs and other "no-no" stuff, it shouldn't be completely necessary.

To answer your questions OP:
  1. I do as I mentioned above BUT I do bare minimum CFW stuff (some Homebrew, LFS and Save editing) and nothing piracy related or NSP related. There is absolutely no guarantee it'll be safe for you however.
  2. You'll have to follow this guide. If you follow it, from then on you'll HAVE to boot via AutoRCM (which can be an issue if your battery is dead as it cannot be charged in AutoRCM mode, thus you cannot boot a payload) and Hekate as Hekate has the anti-fuse burning patches, Atmosphere does not.
  3. Yes. Anything "non-standard" carries the risk of a ban. Installing NSPs etc is a surefire way to get banned a lot quicker however.

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,

NorthHopper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just wanna add some info here, I typically keep my Switch in hekate and have used layeredfs a few times, no ban. Haven't installed NSPs or Devmenu but I'm almost always connected to WiFi and play many multiplayer games. Like the guy above my post, I also have send additional information unchecked. I have had a couple homebrew related crash reports as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr