Can I use gateway ds card with emunand 10.3

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by yusuo, Nov 11, 2015.

1. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I have the spare ds (not 3ds) card that came with my gateway, was just wondering how and if I could get this working on 10.3 emunand. I'm running rxtools tools
    My sysnand is 9.2 if that makes any difference

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Why emuNAND? I don't think DS mode works on emuNAND.
    You'll have to downgrade the DS flashcart whitelist on your sysNAND and play DS games on that.

3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    As explained above, it will not work in emuNAND.
    It will work in sysNAND anyway.
    Look for flashcardtimewarp.cia and install it into sysNAND.
    For installation of said CIA into sysNAND you will need a CIA installer, FBI would probably work, BBB would probably not, DevMenu should work.
    Boot in rxTools sysNAND mode in order to install the CIA and later boot into sysNAND in normal mode to use the DS flashcard. (*1)

(*1) Wait, should you boot in rxTools or devmode?... Not sure, look it up before doing anything.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Nov 11, 2015
  4. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I've heard that rxtools doesn't actually block ds mode, it's only gateway where it does

5. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    In my 3DS it is blocked, but now that I think about it I haven't installed flashcardtimewarp.cia on emuNand... I will try that whenever I have some free time.

6. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    some people would say that they dont understand the problem/point of this thread as ds flashcards simply work in rxtools emunand. . . . but i also have this problem and seeing as its not a problem for others i as well have been looking for a way to accomplish this here are my only (seemingly) workable findings #874 (this subject takes over the thread here) and also here DS Mode in emunand =) so far from what i read only a few people that started without the ability to use ds mode in emunand have got it to work

so not to give you all any kind of false hope but . . . . my theory is that it has to do with how we created emunand so if i may ask of you all is first your basic setup
    (mine 2ds rxtools nightly 9-28 sysnand9.0.020u emunand10.3.0.28u) what fw your emunand was on before you updated it? (mine 6.0.0.12U) and and what method did you use to create emunand?(mine gateway launcher 3.4.1 i think:unsure:) and did you ever convert to to and/or from a reinand emunand? (mine no)

Last edited by wormdood, Nov 12, 2015
  7. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    May I as why you're using such an old nightly? It's definitely not one of the recommended builds, so you may want to update to the oft suggested10/2 build and you can also try the most recent build too.

Anyhow, sorry to burst your proverbial bubble, but I don't think it has anything to do with how you "create" your emuNAND, 99% of people use the Gateway Launcher. In fact I've never seen anyone recommend anything other than the Gateway Launcher.

Also, a reiNAND emuNAND is a CakeFW emuNAND, which is an rxTools emuNAND, and a Gateway emuNAND. They're all formatted exactly the same.

The only instance I can think of in which the method used to create your SD redirected NAND partition may impact things is, if you weren't using emuNAND at all, but instead were using yellows8's depreciated redNAND format. In that case, then perhaps the redNAND to emuNAND conversion process may impact your ability to play DS carts. But we're talking about 1% of people who would be in this situation, so I think it's highly unlikely.

Anyhow, I have no problem playing DS carts in emuNAND both when using rxTools (an early November nightly) and my preferred CFW, Cakes.

Here are my stats; new3DS running sys9.2.0-xxE and emu9.5.0-xxE, was 9.0 out-of-the-box, emuNAND set up via the Gateway Launcher.

8. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    May I as why you're using such an old nightly? It's definitely not one of the recommended builds, so you may want to update to the oft suggested10/2 build and you can also try the most recent build too.

Anyhow, sorry to burst your proverbial bubble, but I don't think it has anything to do with how you "create" your emuNAND, 99% of people use the Gateway Launcher. In fact I've never seen anyone recommend anything other than the Gateway Launcher.

Also, a reiNAND emuNAND is a CakeFW emuNAND, which is an rxTools emuNAND, and a Gateway emuNAND. They're all formatted exactly the same.

The only instance I can think of in which the method used to create your SD redirected NAND partition may impact things is, if you weren't using emuNAND at all, but instead were using yellows8's depreciated redNAND format. In that case, then perhaps the redNAND to emuNAND conversion process may impact your ability to play DS carts. But we're talking about 1% of people who would be in this situation, so I think it's highly unlikely.

Anyhow, I have no problem playing DS carts in emuNAND both when using rxTools (an early November nightly) and my preferred CFW, Cakes.

Here are my stats; new3DS running sys9.2.0-xxE and emu9.5.0-xxE, was 9.0 out-of-the-box, emuNAND set up via the Gateway Launcher.

9. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    sO.....try it out.

10. rotebrotobias

rotebrotobias GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 31, 2015
    You can just easily install the old version of Nintendo DS Cart Whitelist title onto your sysNAND so you can play the flashcard without needing to go all the way into emuNAND. :)

wormdood likes this.