Can I use both 'Formatted WII USB External HDD' and 'Ustealth USB External HDD' at the same time?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by showdownx, Jan 10, 2018.

1. showdownx
    OP

showdownx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2017
    United States
    Hey everyone,

I having an issues using two USB HDD's on the Wii U at the same time. I have a dedicated USB HDD for the Wii U games on the Wii U side, but when I go to the vWii side of things where all my Wii and GameCube games are located, it's starting to have issues, the game won't load. I am using Ustealth and it giving me the same problem. My only way around this is to have one USB HDD connected at a time then my Wii and GameCube games works fine. However I want to keep them both connected without having to disconnect and connect all the time. Is there a way I can do that?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The Wii HDD needs to be in the top rear USB port.

3. showdownx
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2017
    United States
    So you're telling me when the 'Wii U' is laying down, connect the HDD for the vWii (in Ustealth Mode) in the top rear USB port at the top and connect the Formatted Wii U USB Drive in the USB port below that one?

4. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Yes, or plug the Wii U HDD into the front.

5. showdownx
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2017
    United States
    Ok, thanks a lot, I will give that a try when I get home in an hour. I just want to let you know, that these USB HDD's are not powered USB HDD'S and the one for the vWii is 1TB and the one for Wii U is 500GB, is that OK? Should I use a Y-Cable?

6. sevo

sevo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2016
    United States
    I thought the Wii U HDD needed to go in port 0? At least that's what I read in another thread...

7. AmandaRose

AmandaRose The Fallen Angel

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    You read wrong then as the wii u hdd will work using any of the 4 usb ports.

8. sevo

sevo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2016
    United States
    Ok thanks for clearing that up!

So this is my planned set up:
    - 2TB USB portable (2.5”) HDD (FAT32) for Wii/GC/WW/VC to powered USB 3.0 hub connected to USB port 0 (rear top)
    - 1TB USB portable (2.5”) HDD for Wii U connected to USB port 1 (rear bottom) with Y-cable (secondary USB to same powered USB hub above)
    - Mayflash GC controller adapter to front USBs

Does this look right? Also, would you recommend USB Loader GX or Wiiflow Lite for the vWii?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by sevo, Jan 11, 2018
  9. showdownx
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2017
    United States

10. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You might have problems if you don't use an Y-cable, I've heard it can even damage the HDD.

11. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    I don't think your setup will work. my hardrives (for wiiu and vwii) will not even function with the y cable plugs both connected to the wiiu. I have to use one hard drive at a time and on top of that the y cable's data plug is connected to the top rear usb while the supplementary plug is connected to a usb port on my pc. If i connect both plugs to the back of the wiiu it's as if the hardrive is not getting enough power and it doesn't initialize on usbloadergx.

showdownx likes this.
  12. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    This is why both of my HDs have external power. No y cables

showdownx and comput3rus3r like this.
  13. MockyLock

MockyLock GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    France
    You can still use your Y-cables with a USB wall adapter. This is how i set up my WiiU.

showdownx and comput3rus3r like this.
  14. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    yeah ideally you want self powered hdd's but your solution works. The problem is that the guides don't mention this issue.

15. showdownx
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2017
    United States
    Ok, I new I was doing something wrong. I tried it this way (see below, also quoted above) and it didn't work on every try.

The USB HDD dedicated to the vWii is not getting enough power and it doesn't initialize on USB Loader GX. Wiiflow Master Mod will open, it will play the GameCube games but it will even open a Wii game, it will just go to a black screen. The USB HDD on the Wii U side works all every time. So what is the best solution? Should I:

1) Used two powered USB HDD's?

2) Should I get two Y-Cables, one for each drive with both supplementary plugs of the Y-Cables plug into the wall?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. (I'm trying to make is easy for my wife and kids so they don't have to keep swapping hard drives all the damn time...lol)

Last edited by showdownx, Jan 11, 2018
  16. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    best option is to have self powered hdd's. you could try option two first to save money since you get to use your existing drives.
    So I would try option 2 first since you could probably get a set of y cables for like 10 dollars. if it works great. if not option 1. :) good luck.

Last edited by comput3rus3r, Jan 11, 2018
    showdownx likes this.
  17. showdownx
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2017
    United States
    Ok, I see.

How's option 1 been working out for you?

If I do option 2, I will need two Y-cables right?

Last edited by showdownx, Jan 11, 2018
  18. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    actually i'm stuck swaping drives until i replace my hard drives. I'm connecting the suplementary power to an empty usb port on my pc because i have no wall outlets left unused.

19. showdownx
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2017
    United States
    But when you option 1 up and running, how did you like it? Did it work good?

20. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    I've never actually tried it but I've known the issue to be only with portable drives so i'm sure it works. Someone else here posted that it's their setup.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

yea kafluke says he's using two powered hdd's