Can I use a white tab SP screen with a brown tab SP?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by dj505, Jan 31, 2017.

1. dj505
    OP

dj505 Inexperienced Romhacker

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Most likely at the arcade
    I ordered a new screen for my old SP since the ribbon cable on the original tore. I'm not planning on making an AGB-101, just refurbishing my old SP. The screen I ordered has a white tab, but the original has a brown one, and I'm hoping the white tab one will work fine on my SP.

2. malheur

malheur Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2016
    i believe nintendo original sp has white tab lcd. you can use brown tab lcd but some mod required. two lcd have some different pinout, so not 100% compatible.

if you have really brown one in yours, i think its not the original. i think previous owner or someone did modded already.

anyway, its not permanent damage when you use other side lcd. so i recommend try it first, and then figure that out.

3. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    I got another response to this question elsewhere saying that the white tab LCD will work perfectly fine in a brown tab SP. I forgot to mention this is an AGS-101 SP that had a backlight originally. It's never been modified, even by the original owner. If, however, it doesn't work, what kind of modifications would I need to do?

4. geyser

geyser Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    i can confirm that AGS-101 motherboard works fine with WHITE aswell with BROWN tab LCD, also i want to mention that WHITE tab LCD inside NINTENDO GBASP doesnt say its original, i have tons of original GBASPs with BROWN tab display inside, more than that, 8 out of 10 i've found in bad condition original GBASPs from flea markets had BROWN tab display inside.

Last edited by geyser, Feb 2, 2017
    slaphappygamer likes this.
  5. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Ok, awesome! Funny you mention the flea market thing, because the 101 I have is from the flea market lol. Got it for like $20 along with tetris and Pokemon Leaf Green, as well as a carrying case. It was pretty beat up, too. Thanks for your help!