Hardware Can I upgrade or just buy a new and better one?

Posghetti

Un-official ReVeluv Leader
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a complete noob when it comes to computers, hardware wise at least :P My laptop can play games such as Starcraft or League of Legends fine w/o heating up for hours. Playing a game such as Call of Duty Black Ops 1/2 plays somewhat fine on my laptop, but it always drops frames here and there which causes me losses and downs in zombies most times when it's critical and my laptop gets insanely hot from just a few mins of gameplay. I do have a fan I bought for the laptop, it's a dual fan that goes under the laptop and is powered on by usb. I was wondering if I could upgrade this laptop but I heard not all of them can do that, so I'm here to ask you Tempers for advice.

ikXn98c.png

nwaSlUU.png

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the most you can do is upgrade your ram and get a ssd for a bit faster speeds. its pretty pointless to upgrade that cpu since you wont see much improvement in performance for how much a upgrade would cost. I recommend using at least 8gb of ram and a new ssd if your laptop will support the ram upgrade.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the most part laptops you can upgrade the RAM and hard drive in, maybe also wireless and bluetooth as they are often cards using common form factors. Your CPU and RAM should be enough for most purposes, for some things you might want to bump it to 8 gigs and laptop RAM is cheap enough at this point.
Can you run http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html and tell us what RAM it has in it. You might be running slower RAM and that can be worth upgrading.
Hard drive wise most in laptops are not fast, hence a lot of people going to SSDs (based on flash memory, smaller but often incredibly fast compared to spinning rust).

There are some you can swap CPUs and graphics chips for but these are rare and I doubt a sole intel graphics Asus laptop will be one of those. If you know the model numbers (should be written somewhere on it) then we can confirm that.

For a lot of them you can hook into a PCIe port and run a big boy graphics card off it but that is an odd thing and I would not really suggest it for most people.

Posghetti

Un-official ReVeluv Leader
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the most part laptops you can upgrade the RAM and hard drive in, maybe also wireless and bluetooth as they are often cards using common form factors. Your CPU and RAM should be enough for most purposes, for some things you might want to bump it to 8 gigs and laptop RAM is cheap enough at this point.
Can you run http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html and tell us what RAM it has in it. You might be running slower RAM and that can be worth upgrading.
Hard drive wise most in laptops are not fast, hence a lot of people going to SSDs (based on flash memory, smaller but often incredibly fast compared to spinning rust).

There are some you can swap CPUs and graphics chips for but these are rare and I doubt a sole intel graphics Asus laptop will be one of those. If you know the model numbers (should be written somewhere on it) then we can confirm that.

For a lot of them you can hook into a PCIe port and run a big boy graphics card off it but that is an odd thing and I would not really suggest it for most people.

CPU-Z tells me that my type of RAM is DDR3 (4 GB) and I'm not sure what my model number is but I'm guessing it is Q500A-BSI5NO4 (according to the label on the bottom :P)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
New RAM or an SSD will do very little for you laptop in terms of game performance. Sure, it'll boot up faster and the RAM might help a little bit when running a bunch of programs, but the biggest issue is the fact is has no dedicated GPU, it's using Intel's HD4000 (which is basically a potato). The absolute best I can tell you is to just open it up and clear out any dust in the fan/heatsink, in the hopes that you might clear away a stuck vent and you won't get thermal throttle when trying to play high-demanding games.

There's nothing you can do beyond buying a new laptop if you want better performance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome