Can I unbrick this?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by w00th00t, Jun 8, 2009.

Jun 8, 2009

Can I unbrick this? by w00th00t at 5:34 PM (1,047 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. w00th00t
    OP

Newcomer w00th00t Member

United States
    Okay, so when I boot my Wii, I get no audio/video and the only thing that runs is the disc drive, and the power won't turn off without an unplug. I've tried holding Reset to get the Preloader menu, and that won't work. Here's how I got to this state...

I uninstalled my cIOS in order to install another cISO I needed to get the USBloader running properly (though in retrospect I might NOT have needed to do that after all). THEN I discovered that I could no longer run my GCN backups, so I reinstalled the MIOS. THEN my Wii wanted disc updates everytime I put in a game. I tried letting the update work, but that would disable my GCN loader again. So I then looked around to figure out how to turn off the Disc Channel Updates and then found out that I had a Preloader program designed to do that all along. I had .28 installed and I eventually got .29 installed. It was at this point things started acting weird. The Wii would freeze whenever a disc was put in and it tried to read it and a few times, the disc drive and fan would be running when I turned off the Wii. So I found this tutorial and decided the best course of action might be to install the cIOS's included in it. I make my way through installing these cIOS's, got to the CIOS60BF.wad and accidentally installed that, then immediately uninstalled it thinking that would help, then rebooted my Wii as the tutorial says, and I got bricked. So yeah, I was screwing around and think it might be irreversible as I can't find any help on this kind of brick; but I was told to talk to you guys first, so here I am. Can I unbrick this thing?

This Wii has the HBC installed already and is at the 4.0 system update.

2. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    why oh why did you uninstall your systemmenu IOS.

3. w00th00t
    OP

Newcomer w00th00t Member

United States
    Because I'm retarded. [​IMG]

4. xDlmaoxD

Member xDlmaoxD GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There's no way unless you have a modchip or Bootmii install as boot2.

That's what happens when you do stuff that is not necessary.
    To install CIOS you don't need to uninstall the last one, it just over writes the old one with the new one.
    You should have joined a long time ago and not just now cause you have a brick >.>
    Also shouldn't this go in the help section?
    I doubt this is anything helpful deserving to be in the Wii Hacking section.
    Wii Hacking section turn into the help section for all the new guys that keep messing up, and getting bricks.

5. w00th00t
    OP

Newcomer w00th00t Member

United States
    EDIT: Wait--I think I do have Bootmii installed from some previous update... I'm not positive though. What might I do if I DO have Bootmii installed? Or would it have activated anyway..?

6. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Once again never delete an IOS, overwrite it.

7. cojiro

Member cojiro GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if you do have bootmii, you can restore a NAND backup or boot to HBC and reinstall your IOSs

8. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Doesn´t seem as you have BootMii installed even then without a NAND Backup you can´t anyway restore the NAND.
    And don´t get me wrong but if you don´t know what you are doing don´t mess around with this stuff.

9. xDlmaoxD

Member xDlmaoxD GBAtemp Fan

United States
    +1

10. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    There should be like an AnyTitleDeleter for noobs version that basically has nothing to do with anytitledeleter at all and just loads up a screen with a message saying "You are a noob. You should not be deleting ANYTHING. You will brick your Wii. Now press power to shut off your wii and go read something about what you came here to delete and figure out what you're ACTUALLY supposed to do with it."
    Guess it'd be kinda useless though as noobs would inevitably use a normal one to do it anyways.

11. PNo4

Member PNo4 GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    With bootmii installed(boot2) and HBC installed, there should be no problem fixing ios60 and SystemMenu 4.0 again should it?

1. Bootmii Starts.
    2. Go to HBC (it was installed so).
    3. Run and install all ioses (needed by sm4.0) and system menu 4.0 (what programs needed to do this I dunno).
    4. WIN?

12. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Or use cBoot2 to bypass needing the HBC.

13. saulin

Member saulin GBAtemp Regular

If you have a modchip you could use a self booting iso that has wad manager and use that to reinstall the cIOS you need. If you don't have a modchip or Bootmii, I think you are screwed.