Hacking Can I turn off the gamepad screen if I only need the TV?

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm playing BotW, and the light coming from the gamepad (that I'm using to play the game) is quite distracting.
Is there an option, or a homebrew, to turn the screen off?
Thank you

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Go to Controller settings on Wii U and choose turn off display
Was about to mention this.
I believe the screen will come back on if you press a button on the gamepad though, so if you're only using the gamepad as a controller there's sadly no way to turn the screen off.
It would be nice if there was a way to do this and keep the Wii U from transmitting the video signal completely as it would probably add a lot of hours to the gamepad battery life.
Edit: I suppose Padcon will work. But not very useful for BotW since R3 is a rather important button...

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

masskiss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no knowledge in programming, but I wonder how hard would it be to make the trigger not just a button but a combination of two? Or even customizable? <--- this is a stretch but the main point was the former

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While playing Botw on the TV, padcon is the best way to turn the screen off. R3 is used for the scope which will turn the screen back on, just press R3 again to turn it off after you're done scoping.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There is a trick to do that. Press the sync button on the console two times when being on home menu until a screen of 4-card character appears. Wait for a few seconds then turn the gamepad off. Profit.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There is a trick to do that. Press the sync button on the console two times when being on home menu until a screen of 4-card character appears. Wait for a few seconds then turn the gamepad off. Profit.
That won't really help him though as he needs the gamepad for control.
Plus that seems like a bit overkill anyway, since you can just turn off the gamepad screen from the gamepad settings if you're not using it at all.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That won't really help him though as he needs the gamepad for control.
Plus that seems like a bit overkill anyway, since you can just turn off the gamepad screen from the gamepad settings if you're not using it at all.

The reason why I like the method to desync the gamepad is power consumption. The battery draining will be there even when turning wiiu off. When needed, just sync the gamepad normally. I don't like Pad-con because it causes running game to freeze randomly.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason why I like the method to desync the gamepad is power consumption. The battery draining will be there even when turning wiiu off. When needed, just sync the gamepad normally. I don't like Pad-con because it causes running game to freeze randomly.
Then just turn off the display in settings, it's the exact same thing and it turns on at a press of any button

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: +1