Can I transfer Pokemon saves this way?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Cyber Akuma, Jan 18, 2010.

Jan 18, 2010
  1. Cyber Akuma
    OP

Member Cyber Akuma GBAtemp Regular

United States
    From what I understand, a game cartridge and the DS it runs on is supposedly unique (at least Nintendo claims this, not sure if its just the DS that is unique or what.....)

Anyway, I started a Pokemon Diamond game on my CycloDS Evolution and sent a few of my Pokemon to the Pokemon Ranch on my Wii, I haven't connected to the GTS yet to get a friend code. Pokemon Ranch is quite clear that you can only transfer the Pokemon back if its both the same cartridge AND the same save.

What I want to know is, is there really something unique with each online DS game that makes it generate a unique friend code, or is every cartridge exactly 100% the same thing and it just hashes something against a unique ID in the DS itself to generate friend codes or other such identifiers?

If I were to write this save file to an actual Pokemon Diamond DS Cartridge would Pokemon Ranch be able to tell its a different game/save or no? What about if I had gotten a friend code on my CycloDS Evolution, will my fiend code still be intact if I wrote that save to a real Pokemon Diamond cartridge?

2. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    It would treat boths games as they were the same. My Pokemon Ranch checks the name, gender, Trainer ID and secret ID to see if it's the same save file. There may be other checks but I'm not sure.

3. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    I think Nintendo is just saying you can't have uber Pokemon, transfer them over to the Ranch, and then start a new DS game and transfer back the uber pokemon back.

4. RisnDevil

Newcomer RisnDevil Advanced Member

United States
    I would VERY much like to know if someone could check/test this for me. It would be great if this was true, because isn't there a way to edit all of those things? And if that can be done, I wonder if anyone could try and edit the name, gender, Trainer ID and secret ID of a Diamond game to match those of a Pearl game and still trick the Ranch. I hope that wasn't too long of a thought....

Anyways, if someone were to test this and post the results I would be MOST appreciative.

RisnDevil

5. Cyber Akuma
    OP

Member Cyber Akuma GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What about friend codes though? If I generated a friend code on a romcart, then transferred that save to an actual game cartridge (but used the same DS) would I still have the same friendcode?