Can I store games from the eShop on an R4 card?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Sconstio, May 11, 2014.

1. Sconstio
    OP

Sconstio Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2014
    United States
    I bought a 3DS XL, and am looking into an R4 SD card to play emulators on it. Can I use the same card to store games downloaded from the eShop? Or would I need a separate SD card for that?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm new to hacking/modding and couldn't find the answer anywhere

2. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    1. ALWAYS look at threads already made before making a new thread (Welcome to the Temp)
    2. Are you talking R4 cards that play DS games or do you mean the R4i Gold Deluxe Edition that plays 3DS roms (not well).
    3. The answer to your question is no you can't regardless of what you meant
    Post all your questions HERE

3. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    You mean whether you can use the same MicroSD card for your R4 and for your 3DS? You should better go with two SD cards because that's much easier.

4. potato3334

potato3334 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    California
    I'm going to assume you are talking about just having somewhere to hold the data for the eshop games.
    If you are using a micro-sd card adapter sd card for your 3ds, then yes, you can share the data on both the r4 and the sd card.

5. Sconstio
    OP

Sconstio Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2014
    United States
    What I'm looking for is a card that can store eShop games as well as emulators and roms. I'm unsure what the difference is between the different R4 cards or if I even need an R4 card to play emulators

6. Billy23

Billy23 Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2007
    United States
    You First need a 3ds/3dsXL that is on a firmware version of 4.0 to 4.5, next you really dont want an R4 card! Get a Gateway card! They play eshop games/ Roms/ and now homebrew support for emulators and such!

7. potato3334

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    California

flashcarts use a micro sd card to hold data. without a micro sd card, it cant do anything. what im trying to say is it doesnt matter what flashcart you use, as long as it uses a micro sd card to hold data, it can hold your eshop games as well. as for what r4 to get, i recommend you get a supercard dstwo(not an r4 but its basically what you're looking for if you want emulators.)

8. Sconstio
    OP

Sconstio Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2014
    United States
    Can someone explain to me the difference between cards? Atleast in Laymens terms?

9. potato3334

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    California
    between which cards

10. Chaldron

Chaldron GBATemp's Official Attorney

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica
    The microSD is FLASHCART ONLY - it's a little chip that goes INTO THE CARD and only works WITH THE CARD. The regular SD Card is for the 3DS - this holds your eShop games. It's the one on the side of the 3DS.

The two cards cannot share data - each is unique and you must have one of each if you want to use your desired setup.

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If he simply wants to avoid buying another card then he can get by with one card shared between eShop games and his flashcart. However he'll have to keep swapping the MicroSD between the flashcart and an SD adapter in the 3DS. It's perfectly doable though and might not even be that big of a hassle if he doesn't keep switching between ROMs/download games.

12. potato3334

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    California

well, if you have a microsd card sd card adapter, couldnt you technically still have both sets of files on the same microsd card, and just interchange between the sd card and flashcart depending on when you would want to use them?

EDIT: ninja'd