Hacking Can I softmod and use Netflix - if so, how?

BigSteel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have softmodded many Wii's using the tutorials above. I have someone that wants me to softmod their Wii and install Netflix. What would be the best way to do this? Update to 4.3, install Netflix and then softmod?

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Softmod the Wii, download the latest Shop Channel (v20) and the latest IOS56, and install them with a WAD Manager. From there, download Netflix from the Wii Shop Channel. Voila! No need to go to 4.3.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always had issues with Netflix. The channel and disc work, but whenever I quit out of it to return to the main menu my Wii says "System Files Corrupt." I leave the Wii off for a minute or two, and it starts back up just fine. I tried just shutting down from the Netflix app, and the next time I turned my Wii on it said "System Files Corrupt." Another shutdown and waiting a minute seemed to fix it again, but it all worries me. I've tried everything to fix this, even safely updated to 4.3U, updated all my IOSs, tried a WAD of the Netflix Channel instead of the official download. It still happens, and I don't know why.

Basically, using Netflix while soft-modded may yield unsavory results. For me its usable, but I worry every time I shut my Wii off from that error message whether or not its going to come back on. >.<

Luckily I have a PS3 as well, so my wife and I favor that version right now, until I can get this fixed. (If I even can.)

Reboot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just FYI, i'm on 4.0u, and do not have updated IOS's (been at Least 8+ months since I've done anything softmod wise with my wii) and I have no issues with the disc method.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
MarcusRaven said:
I've always had issues with Netflix. The channel and disc work, but whenever I quit out of it to return to the main menu my Wii says "System Files Corrupt." I leave the Wii off for a minute or two, and it starts back up just fine. I tried just shutting down from the Netflix app, and the next time I turned my Wii on it said "System Files Corrupt." Another shutdown and waiting a minute seemed to fix it again, but it all worries me. I've tried everything to fix this, even safely updated to 4.3U, updated all my IOSs, tried a WAD of the Netflix Channel instead of the official download. It still happens, and I don't know why.

Basically, using Netflix while soft-modded may yield unsavory results. For me its usable, but I worry every time I shut my Wii off from that error message whether or not its going to come back on. >.<

Luckily I have a PS3 as well, so my wife and I favor that version right now, until I can get this fixed. (If I even can.)

Are you using cioscorp or darkcorp? If so, get rid of them and use NeoGamma for disc backups.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
takninds said:
You can use wiiconnect24? Sorry, I'm a noob :/
Won't that update your wii automatically or something?

Nope, none of the three console companies (Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony) will do automatic firmware updates due to the risk of bricking if done at a bad time. The closest any have come is Sony with the PS3 automatic download feature but even that will just download the firmware update file, you still have to manually run the updater yourself. It is rumored that the 3DS will have fully automatic firmware updating, probably by keeping a backup firmware copy (or possibly even more than one backup, NAND is cheap).

grnorris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CarbonX13 said:
Softmod the Wii, download the latest Shop Channel (v20) and the latest IOS56, and install them with a WAD Manager. From there, download Netflix from the Wii Shop Channel. Voila! No need to go to 4.3.

Thanks. I've actually looked into this before with no luck.

Basically so long as I have the newest IOS for shop channel and the newest shop channel I can still use my shop channel normally?

Also, should we install IOS56 then Shop Channel or does it not matter for regular channels at all (I'm thinking it shouldn't matter as IOS56 isn't needed to install Shop Channel).

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
Are you using cioscorp or darkcorp? If so, get rid of them and use NeoGamma for disc backups.

Neither. Just running the channel, or the disc ISO through a WODE, so just like a normal disc. My issue happens when I quit, that's it.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
BigSteel said:
I have softmodded many Wii's using the tutorials above. I have someone that wants me to softmod their Wii and install Netflix. What would be the best way to do this? Update to 4.3, install Netflix and then softmod?

You don't need to softmod a Wii to install Netflix.
From a non-modded Wii, all you have to do is download the Netflix channel .
I would do that first, and then proceed and softmod the Wii from one of the many tutorials out there, if desired.

If , on the other end , you mean to softmod a Wii to crack Netflix and watch movies for free, I'm afraid there is no way you can do that, because you need a Netflix account in order to stream movies.
Al you get with the Netflix channel or DVD iso is the movie player, the content has to be streamed from their servers.

BigSteel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CarbonX13 said:

I should have replied back sooner, sorry. Anyway, a little google search led me to the exact same solution and it's all working good, thanks. The Wii was already on 4.3

rolandpibb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With my 4.2u wii, I just installed the netflix wad that's floating around. On Mmy 4.1u wii, no go with the wad. I had to get Shop Channel (v20), IOS56 and downloaded Netflix from the Wii Shop Channel.

Lothlorian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reboot said:
I use the netflix disc, and it works fine without the shop channel...

The New Channel is an upgrade to the disk. It has more features and movie options than the disk. There is "Search" feature on the new Netflix Channel that the disk didn't have.

In a Nut Shell the Channel is Waaaaayyyyy better than the Netflix disk.

jbogart1973

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
having a issue here , i follwed these steps download the latest Shop Channel (v20) and the latest IOS56, and install them with a WAD Manager. From there, download Netflix from the Wii Shop Channel BUT when i go to dl the netflex the shop channel still tells me i need to dl a shop channel update through wii system menu updates and will not let me procced . im on a 4.3 softmodded but havent downgraded to a 4.1 cause i forgot and loaded a dark red menu theme and afraid if i do downgrade now the menu theme wii bugger my wii up . any thoughts ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSN52HstbI